Saiga 12 Receiver vs AK

Hello,

i am new to this forum and really liked it from the first day.

Most of all, all the Information about custom Saigas and all the Pictures about the converted Saigas. Some people here put a lot of work into their Saigas and made me interested to buy one too. Now i want to buy a Saiga 12 and my Question is, do the Ak receiver is the same as the Saiga 12 receiver? All i have seen till now are some pictures, but thats not enough to say if yes or no. Sometimes theres a difference which is easy to see, its how the folding stock is connected. Maybe someone here knows details about the whole system.

Thanks for all Information about in advance.

Regards, Mark

Hello,

Most of all, all the Information about custom Saigas and all the Pictures about the converted Saigas. Some people here put a lot of work into their Saigas and made me interested to buy one too. Now i want to buy a Saiga 12 and my Question is, do the Ak receiver is the same as the Saiga 12 receiver? All i have seen till now are some pictures, but thats not enough to say if yes or no. Sometimes theres a difference which is easy to see, its how the folding stock is connected. Maybe someone here knows details about the whole system.

Regards, Mark

It is as much the same as it can be. Obviously there are differences between cycling 12 gauge and 7.62 ammo. Saigas are made in the same factory as the true AK Russian weapons.

Hello,

Regards, Mark

The Saiga 12's receiver is 1.6mm vs standardized 1mm and does not have the stamped dimples on either side of the magazine well. The rear trunion will fit standard AKM and AK 74 stamped stocks. Also it is longer than a traditional receiver. Maybe due to the extra length of a 12 g shell vs the standard 39mm rounds and the added length of the bolt carrier assembly. I'm sure the experts will chime in as I'm a newbie here also...rolleyes.gif

Hmm ok thanks for the Information so far.

I am not from the US and i noticed already never to ask about the Full auto convert and the how to, because in most cases its illegal (unless SOT or postsample or other permissions i read here already in another post).

It seems not to be illegal if the conversion could be done by switching the fcg from an AK, its not a problem to talk about or? Because if someone has the fcg (full auto from AK) or the whole fullauto stuff from the AK he must have the permissions anyway so its not a question about an illegal conversion.

Like i said i dont want informations about the conversion itself only about the mechanik and if its maybe the same in both weapons or better, if it can be used in both receivers. Here i can buy a Ak Receiver as collectors item, its cutted in front so its basicly useless, but the fcg is still there and its full auto. I know already that there has to be something changed on the receiver but thats not my question only want to know if the mechanics are the same. I know that semi auto is powerfull enough and i dont want to mess around with any law. I also not want to explain other people how to convert their saiga 12 into a full auto gun the easy way (homemade). If this post is getting to close to this i would understand if the admins here mention that so the discusssion could be stopped at the right time.

Ok so hope u guys can maybe tell me, otherwise i find out when i buy the Saiga 12.

Best regards Mark

Hmm ok thanks for the Information so far.

I am not from the US and i noticed already never to ask about the Full auto convert and the how to, because in most cases its illegal (unless SOT or postsample or other permissions i read here already in another post).

It seems not to be illegal if the conversion could be done by switching the fcg from an AK, its not a problem to talk about or? Because if someone has the fcg (full auto from AK) or the whole fullauto stuff from the AK he must have the permissions anyway so its not a question about an illegal conversion.

Like i said i dont want informations about the conversion itself only about the mechanik and if its maybe the same in both weapons or better, if it can be used in both receivers. Here i can buy a Ak Receiver as collectors item, its cutted in front so its basicly useless, but the fcg is still there and its full auto. I know already that there has to be something changed on the receiver but thats not my question only want to know if the mechanics are the same. I know that semi auto is powerfull enough and i dont want to mess around with any law. I also not want to explain other people how to convert their saiga 12 into a full auto gun the easy way (homemade). If this post is getting to close to this i would understand if the admins here mention that so the discusssion could be stopped at the right time.

Ok so hope u guys can maybe tell me, otherwise i find out when i buy the Saiga 12.

Best regards Mark

Well, I'm not an expert on NFA (National Firearms Act which regulates full auto stuff in the USA) law, but I don't think it would be legal to modify an S12 with the FCG from a full-auto AK; even if the AK parts are obtained legally. That would be classified as manufacturing a new machine gun, which is restricted.

You can get special exception from that, as Lone Star Arms apparently has done, to produce select fire S12's - however, those guns cannot be sold to civilians. They are for sale to police and military only, and one must pay a substantial amount of money yearly to the government in taxes for the ability to do so.

As far as the technical side goes.. it is pretty easy to modify an S12 to go full auto. A dremel tool is all that is really needed to make it slam fire. The nub on the rear of the bolt carrier would seem to do a pretty good job at keeping it in battery safely.

But, even if society and law disintegrated tomorrow, I still wouldn't do that to my S12. In a situation with no law, the last thing I'd want to do is to potentially sacrifice my S12's reliability and safety when I need it most.

Full-auto is largely over-rated in my opinion anyhow. I'm sure it is fun as hell to shoot (never done so), and probably makes sense for little 9mm sub guns. But for large rounds, and anything with significant recoil, it is just about useless. A far better solution for sending lots of lead at a target is multiple projectiles.. that is, a shotgun round, or a multiplex rifle round.

I'm actually gearing up to make up some duplex and triplex 7.62x51mm rounds for my M1A SOCOM. The plan is to fit two .30 cal pistol bullets in a 51mm casing, and I'm also going to sabot 3 25 caliber pistol bullets as well and see what sort of results I get. That will allow a 2 or 3-piece squirt of lead for close quarters, and with a mag change I can engage targets out much further with ordinary ammo. For CQ, the multiplex rounds should be GREAT. I'll be able to use real hollow points that have significant expansion.. the only trick will be to get them to feed reliably.

Mark,

Although the receivers are similar, they're not interchangeable. Many of the FCG parts are though, and it's not any more difficult to modify a Saiga-12 to select-fire than it is to convert a rifle.

It's a bit different, but if you can do the rifle you can do the shotgun. And there are plenty of internet resources for this info, but this forum is probably not the place to discuss it.

Edited by BobAsh

Hello,

thanks for the information about this. Now i know everything i wanted to know. I read already a lot about the conversion of the AKs so if its the same/similar i think i find out..Thanks also that u let go the post this far. I hope that the informations maybe also help other people who life in a country where its not illegal to have a full auto as a reg. civilian. So think this post can be closed.

Best regards Mark