ATF Pistol Grip Shotgun DD Shenanigans

I read the article but must admit I'm a little confused. The ATF letter seems to be referring to pistol gripped shotguns without buttstocks so a S12 with a buttstock is one thing. I still think it is stupid but is this pertaining to things like the Mossbergs sold only with pistol grips?

Yeah, confusing. :unsure:

I picked up a Mossy Cruiser some time back. Came from the factory without a stock, only a PG. In MI, it's considered a handgun and must be registered as such (smooth bore handgun?). It's a tad over 28" OAL with an 18.5" barrel.

It'd be nice if the ATF could just issue their position on something, have it published/archived somewhere and have it there for future reference. That would be that.

The 17" barrel mentioned is a problem all by itself. Minimum legal length for a shotgun barrel is 18". That's why most commercial barrels are at least 18.5". Still a confusing mess.

While I'm sure a certain member of this board will correct me, it is usually better to err on the side of caution. One inch off a Mossberg Persuader barrel isn't worth 10 years and $100,000.

Get the tax stamp and get any barrel length you want!

I find it VERY interesting that the "shotgun" in question was discussed in 2009. But only when the NEW DIRECTOR of the ATF, Andrew Traver, is announced by Obama does this mess hit the public eye.

Is this coincidence?

I would expect this to whip into a frenzy as Obama tries to get Traver appointed. A kind of "red herring" to show that the ATF needs leadership NOW, despite the fact that we are now 15 months into Obama's administration and the ATF has been WITHOUT a leader all this time.

Mark my words, this is all political positioning.......