convert on the cheap?

Greetings,

I'm new here. Ive been scouring the boards recently as i just ordered a saiga 12. Ive been looking at converting. I hate spending money ( I know that I've picked the wrong hobby) but the more i save the more i can spend on the other hobbies currently sportbike racing, snowmobiles , and skydiving all expensive. So any time I can do something properly and cheaper Im all for it. Has anyone done a conversion with out spending big $$$ on it? I'm thinking im going to want a collapsible or folding stock and 2nd grip up front.

Thanks in advance.

You can save money on the gun if you use AK47 take off trigger components, salvage or fab your own trigger guard, and use cheap AK grips and stocks.

But, if you miss-count your 922R and ever use the weapon, or run into the kind of JBT's I have, you will wind up spending that $ and more on lawyers and anal salve during your stay in club Fed for weapons charges.

Your mileage may vary.

You need buttstock about $30

Pistol Grip about $15

Pistol Grip nut $10

trigger assembly $35

Reuse trigger guard removed during conversion

Trigger pin plate $10

What's that, about $100? Plus shipping on each individual "best deal" found on the net.

As noted above, conversion kit #2 $136 and only one shipping charge. I have to point out that the kit contains a "wire" trigger pin retainer, I prefer a plate pin retainer. (Called a Shepherd's Crook Retaining Plate.) Carolina has the SKU: SHOTGUNPLATE $8

A lot of the members like tacti-cool stuff, adding hundreds of dollars for what I consider extra weight. But, most of us are "mericans. It's our birthright.

Edited by oldandslow

Screw your conversion :angel: Tell me more about your skydiving.

Yeah, a cheap conversion can be done, and done nicely for minimal money.

But I live by the motto, "Buy once, pay once & cry once."

So ya want a collapsible stock and a VFG?

Might as well go one step up from the Tapco T6, so a MagPul MOE on polymer tube.

Ya want a VFG, means ya need a tri rail, SGM tri-rails are good.

And then lets add on the little things that make life nice.

Though we'll still cut a few corners, reuse the original trigger guard and not buy the best items.

Shopping Cart

carolinashooterssupply.com Items

SKU Description Price Total

STOCK-MOE-2PC-POLY M4 STYLE STOCK MAGPUL MOE SET W/POLYMER TUBE

(BLACK) $99.95 $99.95

BLK-SAWGRIP GRIP AK/SAIGA SAW STYLE PISTOL BLACK

$16.49 $16.49

BLK-INTVG VERTICAL GRIP-TAPCO INTRAFUSE BLACK

$18.14 $18.14

TRX-TRIGGER-GROUP TRIGGER GROUP-TROMIX SAIGA FIRE CONTROL GROUP

$45.00 $45.00

GRIP-NUT GRIP AK/SAIGA GRIP NUT

$5.95 $5.95

SHOTGUNPLATE TRIGGER PARTS-AXIS PIN RETAINING PLATE FOR THE SAIGA 12

$7.95 $7.95

KING-KA-SG01 GAS PISTON SAIGA 12 20 410 KING ARMORY TAPPET KA-SG01

$32.99 $32.99

SGM-S12-FOREARM SAIGA 12 SGM TRI-RAIL

$64.95 $64.95

$291.42

$291.42

Greetings,

I'm new here. Ive been scouring the boards recently as i just ordered a saiga 12. Ive been looking at converting. I hate spending money ( I know that I've picked the wrong hobby) but the more i save the more i can spend on the other hobbies currently sportbike racing, snowmobiles , and skydiving all expensive. So any time I can do something properly and cheaper Im all for it. Has anyone done a conversion with out spending big $$$ on it? I'm thinking im going to want a collapsible or folding stock and 2nd grip up front.

Thanks in advance.

If you can live without the folding stock & don't mind the donkey-dick AK fore-end, I think centerfire or AK builders (I can't remember which) has wood furniture sets for like $30.00, then $25.00 for a tapco FCG that you modify, & $1.00 for e-clips & an aftermarket puck for 922r.

Not the most ideal conversion, but about the cheapest for what you're looking for with a FVG.