Trijicon Tripower vs. Aimpoint Comp C3

My Saiga 308 needs an optic. The contenders:

Trijicon Tripower

TX30.jpg

Aimpoint Comp C3

0ee9222960eee6a98c.jpg

Whichever I pick, will reside on this new cowitnessing-capable rail:

AKM%20weight%20pic.JPG

The rifle is meant for mostly 0-300 yard work, with the possibility of more distant shots using either irons or reticle hold-over.

I'm leaning toward the Tripower, even though I'm more accustomed to Aimpoints and their simple reticle. The Tripower has a chevron reticle. I'm thinking that for a 308, I should have an optic that gives a little more flexibility and capability. But both optics clearly have their advantages, and the Aimpoint is about $200 cheaper. Could anyone with experience with either of these tell me why I should pick one or the other, or AGAINST one or the other?

One advantage of the Tripower is the multiply illumination sources. I've noticed fiber optic sight tend be just the right brightness with out any adjustment.

Aimpoint makes a solid scope and battery life tends to be really good. My m68 battery never went dead even after 6 months of daily use.

Edited by Rusty truck

Hello

JMHO, but I would take better advantage of the cartridge's range with real glass as opposed to a red dot sight.

Of course, my eyes aren't what they used to be, but 300 yards is a long ways off for a red dot.

YMMV.....

-guido

Hello

JMHO, but I would take better advantage of the cartridge's range with real glass as opposed to a red dot sight.

Of course, my eyes aren't what they used to be, but 300 yards is a long ways off for a red dot.

YMMV.....

-guido

It's tempting, but I try to prioritize by likely scenarios. The probability of using this rifle for anything away from the range is already pretty low (other than maybe for hunting), and the probability of having to make a 200 yard shot in a SHTF scenario, much less a 300 yard shot, is vanishingly small. I try to train for scenarios that I might possibly encounter. It seems to me that a red dot or the irons will be sufficient for all of those. But I suppose it's possible that I might get a magnified scope to change out with the red dot later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...