Saiga reliability

So it seems to me that the Saiga isn't as reliable as the standard AK47. the reason i say this is that i have fired about 500 rounds out of my Saiga and the trigger mechanism stopped working so i needed to clean and lube the rifle for it to function again. it seems to me that most aks do not need to be cleaned or lubed at all but the saiga is more sensitive to dirt.

I had shot about 900 rounds thru my 762x39 Saiga just fine.. just cleaned to sell it..

Did you install the FCG properly and make sure the 'hammer spring' is properly bent to NOT jump in the FCG.??

Could you possibly have one the 2008 'defective' Tapco triggers with the wrong disconnect 'hole' depth??

Most AK's come with a DBL HOOK trigger... maybe try to install the Tapco DBL and that may help in the function.. (I have a single)

You just need to cut a small notch where the extra HOOK will need to go thru the receiver floor..

For more info on the 'hammer trigger issue' just dig into the different sections for pics and such..

:beer:

Al

Something is wrong somewhere if you are having problems. One of my Saigas had a Tapco G2 single hook and fired over 3000 rounds through it, only cleaning it once or twice, and never had a single glitch.

Maybe it is the hammer spring as the other poster said, or maybe the hammer is in backwards (happens to people all the time!)

Something is wrong somewhere if you are having problems. One of my Saigas had a Tapco G2 single hook and fired over 3000 rounds through it, only cleaning it once or twice, and never had a single glitch.

Maybe it is the hammer spring as the other poster said, or maybe the hammer is in backwards (happens to people all the time!)

if the hammer was backwards how would it work at all?

I had shot about 900 rounds thru my 762x39 Saiga just fine.. just cleaned to sell it..

Say it's not so, Al! Are you selling ALL of your AKs???

Yes.. sold the 762x39 last week to my usual buyer on here..

I still have the 308 Saiga and have added.. (Jersey).. DPMS LR-308.. (see my thread for pics)..

and...

MDK.. factory configuration.. :cryss: that explains it.. the EXTRA linkage lever is what will bind up..

Al

• Like 1

well then i guess i got a vodka special

Never heard of a vodka special rifle. :unsure: Vodka special refers to factory problems with Saiga shotguns. Is your Saiga converted or in factory configuration?

its factory config

There's your problem.

Yeah, Factory config FTL. It's more reliable than both my Wasr and my Tantal. The Saiga is built to better specs than most Century AK's. I don't know if it's more reliable than an SLG (riveted guide and some other tested parts), but it's way better than most US marketed AK's. It's the reason this board exists.

well then i guess i got a vodka special

Never heard of a vodka special rifle. :unsure: Vodka special refers to factory problems with Saiga shotguns. Is your Saiga converted or in factory configuration?

its factory config

There's your problem.

its factory config

Therein lies the problem.

Uncle Sugar forces Uncle Kalashnikov to modify his masterpiece of simplistic efficiency into a jury rigged POS.

Convert... No... Restore that rifle to Uncle Kalashnikov's intended configuration.

• Like 1

its factory config

Therein lies the problem.

Uncle Sugar forces Uncle Kalashnikov to modify his masterpiece of simplistic efficiency into a jury rigged POS.

Convert... No... Restore that rifle to Uncle Kalashnikov's intended configuration.

Uncle Kalashy bring lots of presies this year for me under the tree? :)

Clean and lube your rifle. Just because it's an "AK" doesn't mean that you shouldn't clean and lube. I do everytime I shoot. No problems, ever.

I think this may be the key! I have close to 800 rounds through my stock Saiga ak without a single problem. Although it has been said it is not required, I clean after each range trip( I am a bit anal that way).

Anyone that ever had the pleasure of toting a rifle for Uncle would rather lose their wallet than forget to clean that weapon I dont care who makes it. If I dont clean mine I nags at me until I do, so I just do it as soon as I get back to the truck, that's what tailgates are for any way. Oh not one feed or eject issue in thousands of rounds since break-in.