Cheap 7.62 Drum Opinions

Drums are finally priced at a point where I am thinking about picking one or two of them up. SGMT released their new production drums, which can be found for around $65. They claim that they are made from non-corrosive alloy and weigh 2.2 lbs. At the same time, AIM now has a very good clearance price on new production Korean drums, but don't provide much info about them.

Any one have experience with either of these drums or any thoughts on them? Thanks!

I'm not sure about those 2... but I have one of the Romanian drums (same back loading wind up style) that I paid about $80 for. I dropped it on my deck unloaded by accident and put a big dent in the front rim before I got to test it out. I had to do some work beating that out before I could ever even use it.

I will say it has worked flawlessly with FMJs, as long as its loaded it correctly and wound up enough (without over-winding).

I did have a few low feeding rounds that jammed up when using Hollow Points though.. not sure if that's an issue specific to those drums or not.

I think most of the new drums out now are probably of about the same quality. I think they're prob. all commercial production and not made to mil spec quality as far as how robust the construction is... Not 100% sure though. I have some of the Korean 30rnd mags and I've never had any issue with them but the steel is a little thinner than my surplus mags. I'd expect about the same of the drums.

I've also heard some talk of the SGM drums actually being the same Korean drums, just imported and stamped with SGM??? I can't confirm that though.. just some second hand info. Maye someone else will know one way or the other.

I might go with the Russian made drum if you can find one like new. Doubt you could go wrong with that.

I've got a Rommy drum. Works really well. I'd stay away from the Korean drums. After hearing how bad their version of a Glock mag is, I've lost all confidence in their ability to produce the drum. Rommy drum fits Saiga very well. Not so much on the Lancaster Polish AK. I'm not modding the mag release so they fit, however. Rommy's work well IMHO. Only good for the range though. Not good for long patrols: too much weight. Just my 2 cents...

Edited by Templar Infidel