CSS New Handgaurd Retiner

kind of looks like dinzags. I went with http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=60870 for now to see how it would work. My only issue is front sling attachment point. I don't really want to put a sling stud in the front hand guard (k-var) so i was thinking about something on the gas tube but haven't figured it out yet. I am still going to try some various mods to the stock hand guard and who knows i might just stick with it and then my worries would be over.

It looks like the Dinzag retainer. It's nice to see some competition bringing prices down from a monopoly level. I'm a big Dinzag fan, but it is difficult to stomach paying $85 for a retainer...

I like the price point on it also. I wonder if It will stay in place while shooting.

I like the price point on it also. I wonder if It will stay in place while shooting.

It does, if you drill the shallow dimple in the barrel for the set screw to engage. I put a tiny dab of toothpaste on the tip of the set screw, screwed it out a bit, set up the handguard and retainer in the proper places, and then screwed in the set screw until it just barely encountered resistance. Then I retracted the screw, removed the handguard and retainer without disturbing the spot, and used a spring-loaded centerpunch to mark the spot of the toothpaste. After that it was not too difficult to drill a little dimple - not a tunnel, mind you, but a dimple - for the screw to engage.

(Don't forget to loctite the 3 screws).

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • Like 1

Looks like a great product, good to see CSS offering a nice retainer at a much more reasonable price than Dinzag.

Hey, did they stop stocking yours? Good thing I have an extra for whenever I need it...

The last batch went out in August, once the ones he has sell out it's the end of them.

The reason being, it became too hard to find discount unmodified retainers in bulk. At one point we were doing 40-50 to a batch and there are only so many out there.

It's much better to have a machined product, more consistent of course, and these look really nice, the $49 price is very affordable.

Edited by Classy Kalashnikov
  • Like 2

Looks like a great product, good to see CSS offering a nice retainer at a much more reasonable price than Dinzag.

Hey, did they stop stocking yours? Good thing I have an extra for whenever I need it...

The last batch went out in August, once the ones he has sell out it's the end of them.

The reason being, it became too hard to find discount unmodified retainers in bulk. At one point we were doing 40-50 to a batch and there are only so many out there.

It's much better to have a machined product, more consistent of course, and these look really nice, the $49 price is very affordable.

Still trying to find those in bulk for you to modify. They seem to have vanished.

• Like 2

Still trying to find those in bulk for you to modify. They seem to have vanished.

Awesome! Thanks a lot. If you do, let me know. Yes at this point they seem to be almost all but gone in any sort of quantity.

Edited by Classy Kalashnikov

I would still recommend making a small dimple in the barrel for the set screw on the new one to lock into. It will make it hold a lot more firmly than without one.

The dimple is a necessity. Back when I was completely dense, I ignored the set screw, and the thing slid forward after a few shots. Now, with the dimple and set screw, no problems at all.

• Like 1