Saiga 12 Conversion

I'm so confused anymore. I hear people talk of conversions costing $60 and others say $400. I already have a new gas plug installed, which helps with the low brass. But the pistol grip with the retractable stock is my main goal. What will it honestly cost to have the pistol grip seated properly on the lower receiver. I already paid $500 for the Saiga, and wont spend more than $150 for the conversion. I also read it could done by the owner himself. How's that possible if most of us don't have milling machines? Please help

Thanks,

Brian/Philadelphia

What you want is probably just a conversion kit from Carolina Shooter's Supply.

http://store.carolin...A-12/Categories

Pick the bundle with the stock style you want, or part it out and get the stock type separately you want if it's not one that comes in the bundle. (I got the ACE folder and Tromix parts kit separate)

Converting isn't too hard. Mainly you're drilling out the rivets for the extended trigger parts to give you enough reach for the U.S. import-legal Monte Carlo style stock. Then drilling out the rivets for the old trigger guard. Then mounting the new trigger guard, installing the U.S. made fire control parts, and the new stock.

What you need to understand it's more like DE-CONVERTING than "CONVERTING" because Izhmash has to convert them for import. You're actually putting the Saiga back into something closer to their Russian factory standard layout. And most of the needed holes and spaces are already there for you to put the pistol grip and fire control parts back in the right place.

The new grip and trigger guard cover up much of the holes in the bottom of the reciever, and you get some tight fitting nylon plugs for the other holes on the sides in the kit. And the holes for the right position

All you need is a drill maybe a Dremel tool, and a steady hand, and the ability to measure twice, cut once.

Granted, there are gunsmiths and more talented people who can weld all the holes shut, grind them flat, and then refinish the gun for a "perfect" job, or even press out the whole front trunnion and make a folded stowage stock latch for a true Russian-style stock and then put it all back together, but someone who's handy and can hold a drill steady can do it themselves and have a result that's at least 90% as nice with an ACE, Tapco, or Tromix folder etc.

If you read the conversion sticky in the forum, just a few lines above us, even if it's not the exact same conversion style you want, the basics will be the same.

http://forum.saiga-1...showtopic=40886

Edited by AJ Dual

Biggie, it just depends on how much you are willing to spend. Do you want aluminum rails? They cost lots more than Tapco ultra .... that's fo sho. Just look at the vendors for parts, see what you can handle spending right now, and go from there. Down the road you can upgrade if you want..You can always use the parts on another one later.. Main thing is it is YOUR S12. Make it the way YOU want it. Make it a very rewarding hobby. I plan on building another one, or two.

So, basically, it's what AJ said.

When most of us talk about converting, we're really saying two things: 1) Moving the fire control group (trigger) back up where it started. You can see where that is by looking at the plate installed right behind the magazine. 2) adding a pistol grip and "assault rifle" style stock.

You can part out those pieces from Carolina, or where ever (I got mine at Carolina, though), and that'll be your actual cost. Most of us, I think, did the work ourselves, and it's a bit frustrating, and time consuming, but not too bad. And all you need to do it is a drill, a rivet punch, rivets, a vice, and--preferrably--a dremel. There are step by step guides pinned at the start of the forum. That's what I used, and they're brilliant. There are also videos on youtube.

Do remember, though, that the reasons to convert are mostly: A) improved trigger. B) looks. There's also the whole 922r compliance thing, but you don't have to convert to be compliant and you don't have to be compliant at all if you're only running your saiga stock.

Don't be intimidated by it, though. If you have any level of mechanical/build skills at all--even only basic ones--you'll be fine.

Plus, hey, you have us as a resource.