Keeping a MD 20 loaded....SHTF

Hey guys. I was recently watching a Vid on you tube about cross loading ammo for SHTF scenarios. Pretty good Vid. It's by SafeArmsReview. Anyways I was setting up all my ammo and gear and I was wondering if it would harm the md20 by keeping it loaded 24/7 with some 000 buck? Thanks guys

Jason

Nope.

I keep mine loaded to 19 at all times & don't have issues when I shoot. Been like that for around 8 or 9 months.

(room to breathe rule from pops)

Edited by Paulyski

Not a bit.

Springs are "worn" or damaged in only 3 ways. Heat... Compression or rarefaction beyond tolerable limit, or working over time (It's actually a form of heat)

Unless the mag is poorly designed, it will NEVER hurt a mag to keep it loaded. The only other concern would be poorly designed feed lips that cannot take the constant pressure, and may deform. Again, quality will prevent such issues.

YMMV

It's really quite surprising given the added complexity of the MD-20 when compaired to stick mags, but as for US made mags they're the most reliable.

If your gun is well tuned, they're just as dependable as the Russian 8s.

I keep a Russian 8 in my gun for grab & go purposes, but really, that's just due to maneuverability.

I can honestly say that my MD-20s have performed as well as my Russian 8's out of the box.

I can tune any Saiga 12 mag to make it run great, but the MD-20s & Russian mags are the only ones that were perfection on delivery & have required no maintenance what so ever.

I keep one of mine loaded at all times. Plus the extra springs are cheap.. I have a couple of those just for sometime in the future if mine ever wear from use.

I would also speculate that if your spring did weaken.. you could just wind it up an extra turn to keep the drum running temporarily.

Keeping the MD20 fully loaded (or any mag/drum for that matter) won't harm the mag or spring at all. There have been numerous discussions about this, on many boards with materials engineers backing up the validity of this. The only way springs will be damaged is as stated by Heath- , if used beyond what it was designed for. Wear and tear will only occur on the spring from constantly "cycling" of compression and rarefaction.

The only concern I would have is the possibility of the shell hull deforming since it is under constant pressure. There have been reports of people having FTF issues and they notice the hulls were slightly oval in shape.

Keeping the MD20 fully loaded (or any mag/drum for that matter) won't harm the mag or spring at all. There have been numerous discussions about this, on many boards with materials engineers backing up the validity of this. The only way springs will be damaged is as stated by Heath- , if used beyond what it was designed for. Wear and tear will only occur on the spring from constantly "cycling" of compression and rarefaction.

The only concern I would have is the possibility of the shell hull deforming since it is under constant pressure. There have been reports of people having FTF issues and they notice the hulls were slightly oval in shape.

That is caused by the top round resting up against a closed bolt. Lock the bolt back or keep the mag out of the gun.