New guy getting a Saiga

Ok, little intro.... Names Caleb and im wanting a home defence / fun at the range/ SHTF gun. I was looking at a SKS at a local gun shop but it sold. I was checking out the Saiga 12 and it hooked me immediatly.

I have done hours of searching and reading on here about conversion to move the FCG forward and a pistol grip with adjustable stock, etc. This is something i will absolutely do if i purchase this gun after of course doing the testing to make sure it has no undergassing problems.

I know these guns are not going to cycle the low brass shells without some work, im willing to work and mod the gun to cycle these rounds.

I want to make sure that this is going to be my best option for what im wanting out of a weapon.

Defintly needs to be reliable if i need it in a HD situation

I want to be able to cycle Federal bulk ammo for range fun or maybe some skeet action

To me this seems not that hard to achieve since i know im going to have to work and mod the gun a bit, no doubt about it.

Some things i have gathered from reading up here is that i want to first leave it unconverted and hand cycle the bolt several hundred times to "break in" the friction points....shoot some high brass thru her to get a base line how it cycles

Then maybe polish the bolt and or hammer to improve cycling

if all is good with the gas system and its not a vodka special, then i will convert using a tromix FCG and a CSS trigger gaurd

after converting i want to make sure it will still cycle like before converting

Buy some hi cap mags and or a MD drum

then add a chaos rail system and VHG and a red dot optic

Does this sound like a good base point to go off of? I feel that i have done pretty good research on all parts and should have a reliable set up. Im wanting to pick this gun up first of the year or sooner if possible, i belive the price is 495 right now.

Thank,

Caleb D.

I do not bother with inspecting. I view it with the preconcieved notion that it will not run cheap ammo.... and get to work. It sounds like you have certainly been paying attention. Well done. The fact that you are going in with the expectation to put in some work is a very wise stance. I have owned 3 Saiga 12s and they all needed work, but were very rewarding when I got them running nice on the cheap stuff. I have learned a lot and these weapons are much simpler than they may seem in the beginning.

Mags, I have 5 rounders and a bunch of drums. The drums are my favorite, but it is nice to fire the weapons with the weight of a loaded 5 round mag. I had an 8 round Russian mag and it was OK, but I didn't see the point in keeping a mag that cost that much and only held 8 rounds. I would suggest that you buy a few MD-20s and hold out for MD's doublestack mags. I have a feeling that they will be the new hi-cap 12 standard that all other mags are inferior to :angel:

Quad rails.... I'm not a big quad rail fan (on Kalashnikov based weapons), but if it is what you want, go for it. I like the Russian tactical handguard with the bottom rail. It is long enough to use a grip and a small light like you might use on a pistol. In a nutshel, the $60 Russian tactical handguard will work for the needs of most. They look great when they are 'bobbed'. I like to grind mine back to just behind the leading edge of the gas block.

Welcome aboard :smoke:

ETA: All of my Saiga 12s were made to run light loads without needing any funky plugs, pucks, or springs. In a nutshell, aftermarket plugs do not help an undergassed condition. They just offer more adjustability. Porting is the key.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

I am waiting for my new Saiga 12 to come in to my local dealer. $480 out the door.

The dealer said it would be the new model, whatever that means?

I already have the Tapco G2 trigger, Tapco Folding stock, CSS trigger guard, Tapco

FVG, Tapco PG, and a Three Rail setup. I picked up a Pentax Reflex red dot sight too.

There are 4 AGP-10 Mags on their way along with two MD-20 Drums.

I have about 450 rounds sitting next to me right now. I still want to get a muzzle brake and

an extended cocking lever.

I purchased an AUG A3 this time last year.

Malodave

Welcome to the forum Caleb!!!

Like everyone said there is a ton of information on this forum along with a lot of good experience. I will just say that you def. need to inspect the gas port before you buy. If you are ordering it I know Greg at CSS will inspect it before he sends it off to your FFL. As far as your reliability concerns go. I look at it like this. Out of the 1000 rounds I have put through my Saiga I have had 0 failures with high brass (which I keep in the gun for HD...good quality Federal OOO Buck is what I keep in it) After I added the TAC 47 auto plug and tuned it to my gun it now runs flawlessly with mixed mags of high and low brass. My original goal was to run winchester universal (the shittiest of the shit) reliably however after asking around here the Federal Bulk pack that is the same price has a bit higher gas and will function a heck of a lot more reliably with MD20 round mag dumps. I would def. stick with the factory 5 rounder for the HD setup (unless you can get your hands on a Russian 8 Rounder...bout 150 bucks). Again Welcome and don't hesitate to ask if you have any issues

Jason