Which are the best mags?

Russian 8's at $140 a pop & MD-20.

Yeah... The MD-20 tends to be more reliable than the US stick mags... Isn't that something?

really (not sarcastic)? I havent had issues with mine, but Im always skeptical about drum mag reliability even though I cant get my romanian 7.62 drum to fail, or prove the the drum is at fault when I got failures in my unbroken-in saiga12. I cannot get the thing to choke when I give it 2-3/4' OO buck. Do you really have more reliability issues with your stick mags?

Russian 8's at $140 a pop & MD-20.

Yeah... The MD-20 tends to be more reliable than the US stick mags... Isn't that something?

really (not sarcastic)? I havent had issues with mine, but Im always skeptical about drum mag reliability even though I cant get my romanian 7.62 drum to fail, or prove the the drum is at fault when I got failures in my unbroken-in saiga12. I cannot get the thing to choke when I give it 2-3/4' OO buck. Do you really have more reliability issues with your stick mags?

I have had a SureFire-12 with the mouth slightly collapsed & it didn't want to run full loads in the 12 round configuration.

ProMag sticks have many issues

AGP sticks need to be sanded on the inside, then when assembled, tightened, then the screws backed out a touch, but then they're pretty reliable (Had a spring snap, but it was from the 1 problem run & Kevin replaced it without question)

I would call the AGP the most reliable US Stick mag available at this time.

As for the MD-20, I've never had to do anything out of the box to them & they've been VERY reliable. The only thing I wish, is that they would run 3" magnum, but it's too long.

The MD-20 has a steel reinforced front tab also.

The Promag Drums do too, but I hear mixed reviews, some good, some not so good.

I understand some have had issues running light loads out of the box with the MD-20 & need to reduce the spring pressure, but with a correctly polished & profiled bolt & a properly gassed gun, the friction is reduced enough for me to run winchester bulk & winchester super-x .00 buck on the same setting.

I would think the drums, being more complex would be less reliable, & there are those videos of mike having an FTE on the third round, but he must have changed something in subsequent runs, because my gun has ran them without fail. They out-perform my US stick mags.

Yeah... Odd. But results are results.

Maybe on those vids where mike FTE'd on the 3rd round, the bolt wasn't treated, or maybe the extractor slot fix hadn't been addressed yet. I think they were NIB guns anyhow. Can't remember though.

Edited by Paulyski

To answer your question simply...The russian 5s and 8s. I put the MD20 drum slightly behind those in terms of reliability but ONLY because of my biased thinking that just by virtue of the design it SHOULD EVENTUALLY be slightly more prone to failure. I'll be damned if I have ever been able to prove that, and maybe never will.

its always the factory mags, with the exception of magpul Pmags.

8rd (actually hold 9) russian mags are 138.35 new right now +ship if you can find them. lol

I bought a bunch back when they cost 100.00

Edited by mike123456

Hello,

It will depend on your experience with different magazines.

By your question we are cutting deeply through the trial and error of different magazines.

In my experience and in this order.....

Russian 5 round magazine that came with the shot gun. This is a base line for all magazines for the Saiga 12. I did have one that was not allowing the follower to smoothly travel through its upward motion. I took it apart and sanded the magazine walls a little and now its perfect. So it goes to illustrate that even these factory magazines do once in a while have an issue. This is a very, very small occurrence.

Taiwanese 5 round magazines. These are sold by Keepshooting.com and are $12.00. They are a copy of the Russian 5 round magazine. There some cosmetic differences such as the texture is smoother than the Russian magazines. The FRONT lip of the magazine does not have a steel insert molded into the magazine body (no big deal). I have used these magazines more than any other. They have held up to full power slug loads and heavy buck loads as well. They are very easy to load as they seem to have slightly less spring pressure than the Russian 5 round magazines. I have 5 of these Tai 5's compared to the 2 Russian magazines that I have. So they have seen lots and lots of use.

The following I do not use that often as the waves of zombies have not really picked up as yet......

MD Arms 20 round drum:super:. I have never had anything go wrong with the two that I have............ever. I have used both 6 or 7 times.

AGP 10 round magazine.......the kits that you assemble are $25.00. I have 5 of the "do it yourself" kits. Remember though YOU are quality control and responsible for reliability if you get the "do it yourself" kit. These are EXCELLENT magazines. I dearly wish they made 8 rounders.

Surefire 8 round magazine.....I only have one. I have only used it one time. It worked.

Now for the mythical (not really) MD Arms DOUBLE STACK magazine.....

These are currently being made and none have been sold to the public................YET.

Save your money for these for when they are released some time in 2011. I have a feeling these will rate above all other magazines, including Russian 8 round magazines :haha:.

I hope this helps in your search for good reliable magazines.

Best

Frosty

Edited by Frosty

My MD-20s were shit the first time that I used them because I monkeyed around with the tension (LIKE A DUMBASS) because I thought my S12 wouldn't feed well at the factory setting of 3 turns of tension. After I put them back at 3 turns they have been utterly reliable. I like them so much that I bought 11 of them. I had some 12 round SGMs and they were pretty reliable, but I didn't like how far they hang down. I had one AGP 10 rounder and it was pretty reliable too, but had the occasional failure. I had a Russian 8 rounder and it seemed like the spring tension was to tight for running low power loads. I experienced a few failures with it. As for now, I have the 11 MD-20s, 33 Russian 5 rounders, and 6 Russian 2 rounders. Until MD Arms comes out with their doublestack, I will not be buying any mags. Come on Mike....

DOUBLESTACKS!!! :deadhorse:

If I were in the market for new USA made mags, other than MD Arms drums or doublestacks, I'd probably buy SGM 8 rounders.

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • 3 weeks later...

MUST HAVE RIGHT NOW!!! :super:MUST HAVE RIGHT NOW!!!:super:MUST HAVE RIGHT NOW!!!:super:MUST HAVE RIGHT NOW!!!:super:

MUST HAVE RIGHT NOW!!! :super:MUST HAVE RIGHT NOW!!!:super:MUST HAVE RIGHT NOW!!!:super:MUST HAVE RIGHT NOW!!!:super: