IRON REAR SIGHTS

proud new owner of s12. eating at me every day because i havent shot it yet. Anyway ive been doing a lot of reading on the dos and donts, one thing ive noticed on mine that i havent read anything about is the rear sight. has anyone else noticed if they look down it the nothched sight seems to be crooked. the hash marks are aligned but the rear sight doesnt sit level with the bead when i hold it straight. i dont plan on replacing the sights (i do realize its a shotgun). any experts out there have some good advice for me? thanx!

proud new owner of s12. eating at me every day because i havent shot it yet. Anyway ive been doing a lot of reading on the dos and donts, one thing ive noticed on mine that i havent read anything about is the rear sight. has anyone else noticed if they look down it the nothched sight seems to be crooked. the hash marks are aligned but the rear sight doesnt sit level with the bead when i hold it straight. i dont plan on replacing the sights (i do realize its a shotgun). any experts out there have some good advice for me? thanx!

Mine seems a bit off also, looks like the front sight is leaning .

I think it's probably the gas block (the part where the front sight is) is canted. Search for posts about it and read about it. If you don't think you can do the the work I see about warranty service. This problem has been addressed here many times.

Correct me if I'm wrong - been a while since I pulled mine - it shouldn't matter - they are straight pins in thru holes, no taper fit, no blind hole to bottom out on.

Good luck - I think you may b e getting ahead of yourself however. Popping the pins will free up the GB but there is no way to adjust the angle without drilling new pinholes and they would have to be far from the originals or you'll wobble the holes and make retention next to impossible.

might be better off getting used to the cant.

Check your gas ports (port location in relation to pass through hole in the gas block). Odds are that you won't be moving the gas block that much to correct the "cant" ,but it may be enough to either correct or cause alignment problems between the block and ports. Never hurts to check before acting in the event that other corrective measures are needed.

ya the ports looked liked they are aligned (pass a paperclip) the thing is sittin at about 11 oclock when i look down it, only needs enough to drive me nuts! i know i have to make sure ports are aligned but if i was to vise it and give the block a little tweak do run any risk of misaligning the barrel or are the ports the only thing to worry about?

thats what i would do, but im just a novice. only have one saiga and only worked on one. but i would just give it a couple whacks with a rubber mallet or similar to see if you can straigthen it up. i would try with the pins in place but if you remove them i believe they have to be removed left to right when looking down the barrel or at least thats what i read when i removed mine.

Just to be clear im not suggesting you go beating on your gasblock, just saying thats what i would do!!;) if you do the ports are what you have to worry about b/c if you move it too far you can cover one or more. of course if you have the patience you can probably send it to cadiz for warranty work, which is probably the best thing to do.

When I had to redo my gas block, I took the pins out and whacked it with a rubber mallet. It was close enough to the original holes that I was able to clear the them using a drill bit between my fingers. I haven't had any problems with it shifting since I straightened it, but I can imagine that it would if it was more than a degree or two off to begin with.