Hey guys! I finally got my lower HG retainer on and fitted, now I'm putting on the AK gas tube. I seem to have a slight fitting issue. It's not quite snapping down in right, and I can't get it to lock in place. Now, before I start cutting to MAKE it fit, I wanted to check to see if anyone had to do this before. I'm using a Bulgy 74 tube on my Saiga. I know they should be the same. Any idea's why I can't get it to fit? What should I do to MAKE it fit if need be? Any pics or experience would be helpful at this moment.

Don't know if my pics will be helpful, but you can see in the pic, that's as far as I can latch it down.

post-28055-0-62930100-1295041491_thumb.jpg

post-28055-0-25279800-1295041497_thumb.jpg

Hey guys! I finally got my lower HG retainer on and fitted, now I'm putting on the AK gas tube. I seem to have a slight fitting issue. It's not quite snapping down in right, and I can't get it to lock in place. Now, before I start cutting to MAKE it fit, I wanted to check to see if anyone had to do this before. I'm using a Bulgy 74 tube on my Saiga. I know they should be the same. Any idea's why I can't get it to fit? What should I do to MAKE it fit if need be? Any pics or experience would be helpful at this moment.

Don't know if my pics will be helpful, but you can see in the pic, that's as far as I can latch it down.

I used a Bulgy 74 tube on a Saiga, and had the same issue. In my case, the wrap-around metal at the front was protruding too far down (against the barrel) and causing the tube to jump up when I let go of it. I ground it down ever so slightly at the contact point with a dremel, and then it fit.

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • Like 1

Jim, I think that might be similar on mine. by "front" what side to you mean? (I'm still really new at this.) It kind of looks to me like it's hitting on the bottom of the end that has the loose ring thing on it. (Not the ring itself, the bottom of the end it's mounted on.)

Does this look like where you had to modify? I'd hate to screw up a tube and have to wait for another, I'm soooooo close to done! This is the FINAL step for me. :D

post-28055-0-84102400-1295043804_thumb.jpg

Jim, I think that might be similar on mine. by "front" what side to you mean? (I'm still really new at this.) It kind of looks to me like it's hitting on the bottom of the end that has the loose ring thing on it. (Not the ring itself, the bottom of the end it's mounted on.)

Does this look like where you had to modify? I'd hate to screw up a tube and have to wait for another, I'm soooooo close to done! This is the FINAL step for me. :D

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear in my last message. I should have been looking at a rifle when I described it. There are two arcs that contain the upper handguard. The one toward the muzzle, beneath it, there is some wrap-around material that secures it in place. Does any of that material come in contact with the handguard retainer? I didn't know what was wrong on mine at first, but then I realized that the gas tube went on OK when the retainer was not in place. I was then able to see the small bit of material on the gas tube that was causing the problem.

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • Like 2

had a simular issue getting a gas tube on my .308 (due to the bigger barrel)

I dremeled down the bottom and still had to remove some from the top to get it to lock properly. Bit loose (has some wiggle) until the bolt is in and then it's rock solid. It's held up great as well despite the ghetto fitting

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear in my last message. I should have been looking at a rifle when I described it. There are two arcs that contain the upper handguard. The one toward the muzzle, beneath it, there is some wrap-around material that secures it in place. Does any of that material come in contact with the handguard retainer? I didn't know what was wrong on mine at first, but then I realized that the gas tube went on OK when the retainer was not in place. I was then able to see the small bit of material on the gas tube that was causing the problem.

Ahhh! I see what you refer too. It does seem like it's touching there. I'm going to try and see if that makes it fit better.

I had to take material off where Jim suggested. I also removed material where the cam lock touches. I'd suggest not removing material on the bottom(closer to the barrel). I re shaped that ramp where the cam touches and painted it.