Well... the deed has been done...

I was LOOKING at bass pro today at some of the ones I was considering, and I found out that there were two that were the LAST ones they had... one was a 22 and one was a 28 gun safe...

One a Winchester, the other a red head... The winchester is made by Granite Safes and the red head either by the same or by browning...

both have combination dials. The winchester was 900 the Red head 800. ( 799.99 and 899.99 )

I happen to know the hunting manager, and I got him to give me $50.00 off EACH safe as they were "floor models", and I was able to get 10% off the entire purchase with a bass pro card sign up...

So I got $1836.00 worth of TWO safes for the out the door price of $1575.00!!

Two safes to me means twice the time a crook would need to open them... and chances are only HALF the guns would be gone if they got ONE open, with a 50% chance they would open the one with the CHEAP guns in it! HAHAHAHA

I wanted two smaller ones over a larger one due to room size, and arrangement. so this also works out for the best too.

Now to just go pick them up over the next couple days and get them all moved in!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, it is MOST APPRECIATED!!!! :up:

:smoke:

Two safes means Ammo in one and Firearms in the other.

NO...

Two safes means GUNS IN BOTH and ammo NOT IN EITHER... ( did you NOT read this thread? :huh: )

I have no idea why anyone keeps ammo in a safe to begin with... Maybe if you have really young kids that cant seem to keep their fingers off the stuff or older ones that arent around it enough to know its nothing special...

I keep it all on a big bakers rack style shelf... 5 shelves, 5 feet wide, 18" deep... screwed to the wall so it wont fall over.

If someone breaks in and wants to steal my ammo that badly, they can have it, as long as the guns are secure.

NO...

Two safes means GUNS IN BOTH and ammo NOT IN EITHER... ( did you NOT read this thread? :huh: )

I have no idea why anyone keeps ammo in a safe to begin with... Maybe if you have really young kids that cant seem to keep their fingers off the stuff or older ones that arent around it enough to know its nothing special...

I keep it all on a big bakers rack style shelf... 5 shelves, 5 feet wide, 18" deep... screwed to the wall so it wont fall over.

If someone breaks in and wants to steal my ammo that badly, they can have it, as long as the guns are secure.

Sorry Indy, I disagree with you on this one. The ammo I have on hand is usually in quantities more valuable than the gun it is for. I keep all my ammo locked up in a secondary safe.

• Like 1

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one... :lol:

I know I have NO WHERE near as much invested in ammo as I do guns...

If I had the choice to steal guns or ammo, I would be concentrating on getting the guns in the getaway vehicle before I went after ANY ammo...

I also do not have room in my house for FOUR MORE safes... :( two more just to store ammo in... and one for reloading components... I still need one more to fit the rest of the guns in there... :huh:

Guns are cheap. Its the ammo thats expensive unless you are playing with 22 LR.

One case of SS192 is worth more than a Five Seven.

Two cases of Golden Tiger was worth more than a S-308.

But for me its not the money part as much as redundance of safety. Guns and Ammo locked seperately makes it twice as hard for an intruder to kill you with your own weapons. I carry enough heat for protection on me. There is no reason to leave hot rod stuff where only one layer of security makes it available to be used against me. Last thing I want to have happen is some 16 year old shoot me cause they got into one safe found some shells on a shelf in the bedroom and took me out. Security in layers is the way for me.

If I had the choice to steal guns or ammo, I would be concentrating on getting the guns in the getaway vehicle before I went after ANY ammo...

I also do not have room in my house for FOUR MORE safes... :( two more just to store ammo in... and one for reloading components... I still need one more to fit the rest of the guns in there... :huh:

NO...

You should at least buy one of those big metal locking cabinets from stackon to keep your ammo safe.

But for me its not the money part as much as redundance of safety. Guns and Ammo locked seperately makes it twice as hard for an intruder to kill you with your own weapons. I carry enough heat for protection on me. There is no reason to leave hot rod stuff where only one layer of security makes it available to be used against me. Last thing I want to have happen is some 16 year old shoot me cause they got into one safe found some shells on a shelf in the bedroom and took me out. Security in layers is the way for me.

To a common street criminal, the weight of ammo is not going to be worth the street price.

Remember that your 2 pound handgun that you paid $500+ for is not going to go for more than $150 on the street. If they try and sell it through conventional means, they know they will get busted if the owner reported it stolen (dang serial numbers).

You also have to keep in mind that street criminals are not avid shooters looking to stock up on range plinking ammo and will not really have any use for 500+ rounds of ammo, nor would they likely go onto a gun forum to try and get full value for it. Plus UPS is going to charge them $60 to ship two cases of ammo so it isn't really worth the hassle.

Most of the guys breaking into houses are looking for small quick payoffs (like jewelry, electronics, guns, cash & the like), often times to feed a drug habit. They don't typically want to wait for checks to clear and go to UPS to ship 60+ pound stolen property.

As a fun side-note I read in one of the gun rags that there was a case where a guy stole a big bore safari gun and cut the barrel down with a hacksaw so that he could hide it enough to rob a 7-11 with it. He got less than $200 from the 7-11 and after getting caught, the cops found out that before his unfortunate barrel modification, the gun he stole was worth $20,000.

You aren't working with America's best and brightest when it comes to petty burglary.

LOL, I know the feeling. I just don't want anything stolen so I put everything in a safe and have security systems out the ass. But as I am fond of saying, I have been known to go overboard........from time to time.ph34r.gif

Thanks for all the info thus far. I too am in the market for a safe. I live in an upstairs apartment, so getting a heavy ass safe up 2 flights of stairs isn't something i'm forward to. Im not really concerned with a fully equipped robbery crew coming in and using a torch and grinder to rip it open, its more then punk teenagers and random roving drug attic passing though looking for a quick score. Also thanks for the info about the fire protection, that was somthing i always put a lot of focus on. Glad to hear that its Bull Sh*t unless you full on 2+ hours and such.

Thanks for all the info thus far. I too am in the market for a safe. I live in an upstairs apartment, so getting a heavy ass safe up 2 flights of stairs isn't something i'm forward to. Im not really concerned with a fully equipped robbery crew coming in and using a torch and grinder to rip it open, its more then punk teenagers and random roving drug attic passing though looking for a quick score. Also thanks for the info about the fire protection, that was somthing i always put a lot of focus on. Glad to hear that its Bull Sh*t unless you full on 2+ hours and such.

Use a big ass dolly itll go up fine. Plus most places who sell them will deliver for a fee, usually $100.

Just make sure your on the up hill side of the dolly!021.gif

Use a big ass dolly itll go up fine. Plus most places who sell them will deliver for a fee, usually $100.

That would be some funny stuff.

Seven eleven Worker: How can I help you?

Robber: Give me your money!

Seven eleven worker: WTF is That!

Robber: Sawed off Nitro 500 Express!

To a common street criminal, the weight of ammo is not going to be worth the street price.

Remember that your 2 pound handgun that you paid $500+ for is not going to go for more than $150 on the street. If they try and sell it through conventional means, they know they will get busted if the owner reported it stolen (dang serial numbers).

You also have to keep in mind that street criminals are not avid shooters looking to stock up on range plinking ammo and will not really have any use for 500+ rounds of ammo, nor would they likely go onto a gun forum to try and get full value for it. Plus UPS is going to charge them $60 to ship two cases of ammo so it isn't really worth the hassle.

Most of the guys breaking into houses are looking for small quick payoffs (like jewelry, electronics, guns, cash & the like), often times to feed a drug habit. They don't typically want to wait for checks to clear and go to UPS to ship 60+ pound stolen property.

As a fun side-note I read in one of the gun rags that there was a case where a guy stole a big bore safari gun and cut the barrel down with a hacksaw so that he could hide it enough to rob a 7-11 with it. He got less than $200 from the 7-11 and after getting caught, the cops found out that before his unfortunate barrel modification, the gun he stole was worth $20,000.

You aren't working with America's best and brightest when it comes to petty burglary.

post-27370-0-06748500-1296274328_thumb.jpeg