7.62 convertion went wrong

Me and my friend stayed up all night (till 3 a.m.) last night doing the pistol grip conversion to my 7.62 saiga, we used a G2 trigger group, a wooden pistol grip, a wooden butt stock, and everything else was original, when we took it out on the range the next morning, the first 2-3 rounds came out on full auto, than it would shoot 1 round at a time, and not cock the hammer back, so i would have to wrack it every time, and than it shot a burst again later on, sometimes it would actually do what it is supposed to do, if i squeezed the trigger fast enough. What did we do wrong? why is it doing that? and can i get in trouble for that?

Definitely, sounds like a disco problem or as Jim said perhaps you installed another component wrong which is causing the issue. Pics would definitely help.

Did you use the original hammer or the new one with the G2?

Edited by rob-cubed

i installed everything that came with the G2 trigger group, the spring? i did not install any springs, now that i look at the old (original) trigger group, there is a spring sitting in the middle, should i take it out and install it? I do not have pictures, and i already gave the rifle to the gunsmith to change out the gas block , the front sight block and to put the lower hand guard retainer on, so i cannot take any pictures for a couple of weeks till i get it back

i installed everything that came with the G2 trigger group, the spring? i did not install any springs, now that i look at the old (original) trigger group, there is a spring sitting in the middle, should i take it out and install it? I do not have pictures, and i already gave the rifle to the gunsmith to change out the gas block , the front sight block and to put the lower hand guard retainer on, so i cannot take any pictures for a couple of weeks till i get it back

You deff need the disconnector spring. http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-166/Tapco-Saiga-Rifle-12/Detail

If you already took it to the gunsmith you can probably just let him know you need it installed. Either get him to order it for you or drop him one off. I bet that will fix the issue. Easy fix.

i installed everything that came with the G2 trigger group, the spring? i did not install any springs, now that i look at the old (original) trigger group, there is a spring sitting in the middle, should i take it out and install it?

Yes.

Retrieve the spring from inside this part of the original FCG:

Saiga223_rebuild08.jpg

It must be installed between the trigger and disconnector.

i installed everything that came with the G2 trigger group, the spring? i did not install any springs, now that i look at the old (original) trigger group, there is a spring sitting in the middle, should i take it out and install it?

Yes.

Retrieve the spring from inside this part of the original FCG:

Saiga223_rebuild08.jpg

It must be installed between the trigger and disconnector.

will do as soon as i get the rifle back, thank you

Me and my friend stayed up all night (till 3 a.m.) last night doing the pistol grip conversion to my 7.62 saiga, we used a G2 trigger group, a wooden pistol grip, a wooden butt stock, and everything else was original, when we took it out on the range the next morning, the first 2-3 rounds came out on full auto, than it would shoot 1 round at a time, and not cock the hammer back, so i would have to wrack it every time, and than it shot a burst again later on, sometimes it would actually do what it is supposed to do, if i squeezed the trigger fast enough. What did we do wrong? why is it doing that? and can i get in trouble for that?

You can definitely get in trouble for the current configuration and you might also want to check your parts count to make sure you are legal if the wood furniture isn't U.S. Made.

To prevent having issues with someone reporting you at the range while you are trying to fix the trigger problem, unload the gun, cycle the action, pull the trigger and with the trigger still pulled, cycle the action again, release the trigger and if it doesn't reset to the ready to fire mode (i.e. it doesn't remain cocked), you are still messed up.

If you got the G2 from a gun store, it may have been from the lot that got recalled as Gun Fanatic posted. I would take out the trigger and check the pictures on this forum to make sure everything is correctly installed and see if your trigger is one of the recalled ones from Tapco.