still on the fence

well im still on the fence about getting a 7.62x39 and converting it my self or getting an Arsenal SGL21

i have most of the tools i need to do the job but i know the arsenal will always be nicer

i mean if i get the Arsenal i wouldnt do much more to it except for some better sights

here is the one im looking at

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17674&cat=353&page=1

what do you guys thing is the extra cost worth it?

It's very hard to put a price on convenience. Arsenal does the best restorations for the money, I don't think I've ever heard a bad word about them. I was new to Saiga's when I got mine. I thought "I just want a Russian AK," but didn't know why they came in a sporter configuration when I bought it. So I stumbled upon saiga12.com and did my 922r conversion. Looking back, I wouldn't have done it any other way. Just my opinion, you can't go wrong with either.

well looking to order in the next week

i think i decided on Arsenal because i added up what id do on my Saiga and it wouldnt be much less then getting the Arsenal and id still have to do all the work also ive never threaded a barrel so id be a little afraid to do that

well looking to order in the next week

i think i decided on Arsenal because i added up what id do on my Saiga and it wouldnt be much less then getting the Arsenal and id still have to do all the work also ive never threaded a barrel so id be a little afraid to do that

I have one of each - an Arsenal and a self-converted Saiga. Both shoot exactly the same so it is going to be purely aesthetic over any real functionality difference.

The Arsenal has no holes that need to be welded. The quality and finish look like it came direct from Russia with every component. Furniture is solid (not cheap feeling) and it is a dead ringer for a modern Russian AK minus the folding stock.

My conversion is basic, but functional. I got a really good deal on the gun, so it is still worth what I have into it, but an Arsenal will retain its value far better than a self-conversion.

If you want a shooter, the self done Saiga is great, but if you want an authentic looking AK, the Arsenal is what you need.

• Like 1

Being in the same spot myself , and with a Saiga 16" 7.62X39 on order, and facing the conversion......can anyone give me a number $ wise on doing the conversion with the highest quality parts? I'll be using search but that would be awesome if someone could just give an idea.

I'm weighing best quality conversion parts and my time, versus just waiting & buying the Arsenal.

I am not worried about "true to the AK heritage" stuff either.

I don't want to spend the same amount on a conversion as an Arsenal.

haha now im thinking of getting a 7.62x39 and doing a simple conversion and getting a draco pistol too.... oh man

problem is no gun shows coming anytime soon and i havnt seen and 7.62x39 in any gunstores.... id be horrified and have buyers remorse if i ordered a 7.62x39 and it didnt have dimples

Looks like I just won a 16" Saiga 7.62 on GB for $385........w00t!

Thanks for the compliment! I haven't posted yet so here goes.

Saiga 7.62x39

CSS Ace rear adapter

Ace push button folder

Ace receiver extension adapter

DSA MIL Spec Buffer Tube

Magpul FDE CTR

ACE AR to AK grip adapter

Magpul MIAD

Tapco G2 modified trigger group (to retain BHO)

MARKW1 ak74 gas tube, lower retainer, gas block and FSB

Krebs Custom AK 74 compensator.

CSS Bullet Guide

Magpul VFG

Midwest industries AK variant quad rail

Knowledge from Classy Kalasnikov

I hope I'm not leaving anything out.

Edited by cobravenom39

Being in the same spot myself , and with a Saiga 16" 7.62X39 on order, and facing the conversion......can anyone give me a number $ wise on doing the conversion with the highest quality parts? I'll be using search but that would be awesome if someone could just give an idea.

You're asking for trouble asking it that way.

You could spend ~150 bucks or less and get a nice basic conversion that would be very functional. Or you could buy a Magpul Stock, Red Star Arms trigger, Ultimak quad rail forearm, Hogue pistol grip with a toolkit inside, Krebs beryl rail topped off with an ACOG, and a PWS FSC 47 muzzle brake, which could cost you somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500-2000 on top of the rifle. Obviously that goes beyond the basic conversion, but that's kind of my point. It depends on YOUR priorities and what you need.

There's garbage, there's functional, there's top of the line, and then there's overpriced whiz-bang stuff that MUST be the best if they're asking THAT for it.

You might do better asking about individual pieces of equipment that strike your fancy. Chances are, you'll get someone who has tried it and has actual knowledge based on experience. Still, one guy's pistol grip or stock may not fit the next guy.

Go to one of this website's vendors and price it out yourself.

Edited by Dudethebagman

what do you guys thing is the extra cost worth it?

If you're going to keep it as is and be happy with it - maybe just for the convenience.

If you'd rather pick your components - no.

Since I'm not huge into the look of the Arsenal's furniture, I'd buy the Saiga and add what I like.

I could buy a Saiga ($350), an RSA trigger (70$), a Mississippi Auto Arms buttstock ($60) with adapter ($43) and pad ($10), a Tapco SAW pistol grip (fits me awesome and works/looks fine, IMO) ($20), a Krebs A2 AK flash hider ($25), a threading kit ($75), a bullet guide ($20), and a pile of surplus magazines (~$10 each) for the price of the Arsenal. Then I could sell the threading kit. But that's my priorities.

Edited by Dudethebagman

There's garbage, there's functional, there's top of the line, and then there's overpriced whiz-bang stuff that MUST be the best if they're asking THAT for it.

I'm more into the top of the line, not most expensive, specifically:

trigger/fire control group & the necessary conversion parts that are high quality,

compensator / flash hider,

that which deals with feeding bullets non stop,

I will put an EOTech on it so I'll need some rail of some sort,

techy furniture is my very last worry.

Does that help? I need suggestions....

Triggers

Well, I do like the RSA adjustable trigger I have in my 308. Other people think the adjustability of it may count against reliability, with small screws that COULD fall out. However, they are loctited in.

Lots of people run the Tapco G2 trigger. Apparently it can bumpfire accidentally if pulled slowly.

I haven't tried the Texas Trigger or Arsenal Trigger, or really heard too much about them.

Muzzle devices

I had the Primary Weapon System FSC 47 brake/flash suppressor. I found the noise more distracting than any benefit that it provided with less muzzle rise. Because it does control muzzle rise, I got the impression that it kicked harder - the energy was just redirected straight back rather than back and up. I don't think it compensated recoil all that well. I didn't think it controlled flash that well either. I just wasn't that impressed. Other people like it quite a bit. It is pricey.

I ended up going with the Krebs AK A2 flash hider. Somewhat controls muzzle rise, somewhat controls flash. Not nearly as loud. Cost only $25 and is a US made part. I thought it was a better compromise than the FSC 47.

Scope mounts/rails.

I run a Tim Heffron special edition version 3 side mount from Kalinka. Apparently I'm the only one in the world who likes this mount. It cowitnesses with Aimpoints and other red dots with a 30mm diameter and still allows me to remove the dust cover/BCG for cleaning. It's robust, but may require some fitting to get it to center perfectly and cowitness. I had to shim mine, but no big deal to me.

Before that, I had a UTG quick detach scope mount. It's much cheaper, worked great, but did not cowitness.

The Texas Weapon System dogleg rail has been out for a while. People seem to like it. Same with the Krebs' rail, but they want an arm and a leg. I run the DPH arms/CNC warrior quick detach rail on my 308. It's very solid and allows you to keep your original irons, as it is held in place with set screws. It's kind of a bitch finding its happy place with the set screws, but has been solid for me.

TWS is coming out with a new mount that cowitnesses, and latches into the rear sight block and recoil spring. It replaces the dust cover and rear sight. It's in beta testing now.

A member of this site, Horse, is coming out with a cowitnessing side mount. It's made for Aimpoints and would fit other red dots with a 30mm diameter. I think he just started production.

Lots of people like the Ultimak rail, which replaces the stock gas tube. This will cowitness with an Aimpoint Micro and (I think) Bushnell TRS-25.

Other people like the BP 02 side mount. It's too high to cowitness.

Other

Personally, I like the stock forearm and see no reason to replace it. I have another rifle with traditional AK furniture, so the thrill is gone for me. The handguard retainer is just something else to clamp onto the barrel, which likely doesn't do anything good for accuracy. Why spend the money to potentially hurt your accuracy? I don't think it looks that much cooler. I don't think it looks cooler at all.

Some people run quad rail forearms and mount vertical foregrips, flashlights, lasers, and other doodads. I have a flashlight I can mount to my rifle, but don't really see the need for the rest of the stuff. The magazine on a 7.62 makes a pretty handy foregrip, IMO. The rifle is already front heavy enough without adding a bunch of other stuff out front.

Buttstocks and pistol grips are largely about personal ergonomics. Side folding and collapsible are neat, if that's what you're into.

Edited by Dudethebagman

You're asking for trouble asking it that way.

You could spend ~150 bucks or less and get a nice basic conversion that would be very functional. Or you could buy a Magpul Stock, Red Star Arms trigger, Ultimak quad rail forearm, Hogue pistol grip with a toolkit inside, Krebs beryl rail topped off with an ACOG, and a PWS FSC 47 muzzle brake, which could cost you somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500-2000 on top of the rifle. Obviously that goes beyond the basic conversion, but that's kind of my point. It depends on YOUR priorities and what you need.

You might do better asking about individual pieces of equipment that strike your fancy. Chances are, you'll get someone who has tried it and has actual knowledge based on experience. Still, one guy's pistol grip or stock may not fit the next guy.

Go to one of this website's vendors and price it out yourself.

Well, been doing my homework, and picked out all the necessary conversion parts form Dinzag except furniture.......and then I saw the Magpul MOE and finger groove pistol grip in Green / Dark Earth....uh oh. I freakin' gotta mount my EOTech to something too.

At least I like the stock foregrip, so I've got that going for me?

Oh that Magpul stuff is gonna set me back. Must resist. I don't even have mags yet!

Edited by alex e

id be horrified and have buyers remorse if i ordered a 7.62x39 and it didnt have dimples

Why?

Yeah, why?

The mag dimples don't make that much of a difference. Also, if it doesn't have dimples it might have a pinned FSB and GB, which makes life easier.

Mine has dimples as well as pinned FSB and GB.

• Like 1

The Fun show I attended at Lakeland FL Civic Center on Saturday 5 Feb, 2011 had a very large assortment of Siaga rifles, both converted and unconverted as well as S-12 19 inch barreled shotguns. There were I would estimate close to a hundred on display in the show. There were a lot of converted .223 Siaga with the new trigger guards installed - and telescoping stocks, and a variety of furniture. I would say that a ship came in somewhere and unloaded. The show was well attended and a lot of people were buying.

The Fun show I attended at Lakeland FL Civic Center on Saturday 5 Feb, 2011 had a very large assortment of Siaga rifles, both converted and unconverted as well as S-12 19 inch barreled shotguns. There were I would estimate close to a hundred on display in the show. There were a lot of converted .223 Siaga with the new trigger guards installed - and telescoping stocks, and a variety of furniture. I would say that a ship came in somewhere and unloaded. The show was well attended and a lot of people were buying.

good news

Edited by ak karl