Shrinking Saiga Supply

We've all been breathing easy since the ATF study came out and did not ban Saigas, but this news is a bit disturbing.

http://www.saysuncle.com/2011/02/03/saiga-update/

Just as a bit of background, back when the first rumors of a ruling came out, I was in Coal Creek and said something about the rumors. They blew the issue off taking a "We'll believe it when we see it" attitude that, in retrospect, was more balanced than the panic that swept others. Interestingly, it is their supplier who has become skiddish, I assume out of fear of losing money on importing inventory that they have trouble selling. (That or they're trying to inflate prices, but I'd prefer to think it's skiddishness rather than manipulation).

The ATF may or may not follow up with some type of ruling that adversely affects Saigas, but if the importers react this way, we can expect to see dwindling supplies and higher prices until the importers stop panicing.

I'm not trying to start a new panic, just spread the word about this new wrinkle and see if anyone else has heard anything similar.

Also, if someone is considering purchasing a Saiga (first or a backup) they might consider trying before prices spike and supplies shrink. Otherwise, they may be waiting for a bit before the importers start bringing them in again.

I don't doubt that the sole purpose of the ATF study was a foot in the door to eventually ban the S-12 and maybe even other Saigas because they can be converted into "non-sporting" weapons fairly easily, and have a military heritage.

However, there have been import problems completely unrelated to the ATF study--so don't read too much into a Facebook post. Izhmash is still trying to get product onto our shores and has even more reason to flood the market given the recent buying frenzy. We're in between shipments, there aren't many Saigas to be had, and no one is certain who the next importer will be now that RAA seems to have dropped out... but that happened well before the study was announced. It's also not the first time there has been a change in the guard and a new importer has stepped forward.

I don't doubt that the sole purpose of the ATF study was a foot in the door to eventually ban the S-12 and maybe even other Saigas because they can be converted into "non-sporting" weapons fairly easily, and have a military heritage.

However, there have been import problems completely unrelated to the ATF study--so don't read too much into a Facebook post. Izhmash is still trying to get product onto our shores and has even more reason to flood the market given the recent buying frenzy. We're in between shipments, there aren't many Saigas to be had, and no one is certain who the next importer will be now that RAA seems to have dropped out... but that happened well before the study was announced. It's also not the first time there has been a change in the guard and a new importer has stepped forward.

There's already another imported for Saiga-12s: Arsenal. All the Saigas in my local store are Arsenal now.

I've subsequently gotten through to the Gun Shop mentioned in the link. It turns out that they are getting Russian American Arms Saigas, not Arsenal ones, so this could be a bit of profiteering on their part, or on RAA's as they try to get as much as possible for the inventory they brought over before this fall.

Whatever the case is, we can expect to see more of this going on probably, so if you want a Saiga and see one in the right price range, I'd go for it, because even if this is just an example of one or more businesses profiteering off panic, it could still lead to an increase in prices overall, both as the supply shrinks and as others get the idea to stir the pot and raise prices.

How much where the Arsenal branded Saiga 12s?

I paid $490 for my Arsenal S-12, shortly after hearing about the impending release of the ATF Study. I called it a "Prudent Buy". Someone else called it a Panic Buy. See- Saiga Prices...

I stand by my assertion. I'm fairly new to Saigas, but not to the firearm/ammo market. The "Panic Buys" are fixing to start.

Now excuse me, but I've got a new S-12 to clean. I'm breaking it in on Saturday and then I'll order the conversion parts. :)

I've subsequently gotten through to the Gun Shop mentioned in the link. It turns out that they are getting Russian American Arms Saigas, not Arsenal ones, so this could be a bit of profiteering on their part, or on RAA's as they try to get as much as possible for the inventory they brought over before this fall.

Yeah RAA is the importer that mysteriously "unimported" many of the last batch of Saigas. They had their name scratched out on the receivers and Mercury/Hermes was marked as importer instead. So if that gun shop is only talking to RAA, who knows what story they've been fed. But I suspect everyone of profiteering as soon as the rumors start flying. Supply and demand.

I totally forgot about Arsenal! Duh. :rolleyes:

Either way I hope another importer steps up. If Arsenal becomes the only game in town, it'll be bad, especially if people continue panic buying.

About once a year there's a lull in importation of Saigas, and everyone jumps to conclusions and assumes the worst. If there is going to be anything to worry about, it will more than likely come in the form of reliable source stating 'there will be a problem in the future.'