Greeting All, I read a post over a year ago where a guy was explaining how he took his russian 5rd mags and trimmed the follower down to allow the mag to accept 8rds. Being that russian 8rd mags are worth their weight in gold I'm looking for alternatives. Also does anyone know if the Taiwaneese mag makers are considering an 8rd version of their mags? Any info or tips are appreciated, Thanks in advance!

Greeting All, I read a post over a year ago where a guy was explaining how he took his russian 5rd mags and trimmed the follower down to allow the mag to accept 8rds. Being that russian 8rd mags are worth their weight in gold I'm looking for alternatives. Also does anyone know if the Taiwaneese mag makers are considering an 8rd version of their mags? Any info or tips are appreciated, Thanks in advance!

I seriously doubt you could get 8 rounds in a 5 round mag by just trimming the follower. Back when the only mags for the S12 were the factory 8 and 5 rounders there was talk about making an extension for the 5 rounders. Idea got scrapped after mags started being produced in the US that eliminated the need for them.

I can't answer any of your questions, but I do have some advice. Take all the time and energy you would have put into creating something with questionable results and use that to make a few extra bucks and buy the real deal. Easier said than done, I know, but so is what you are considering.

Thank you for your info

I seriously doubt you could get 8 rounds in a 5 round mag by just trimming the follower. Back when the only mags for the S12 were the factory 8 and 5 rounders there was talk about making an extension for the 5 rounders. Idea got scrapped after mags started being produced in the US that eliminated the need for them.

While I appreciate your information and reasoning, no one likes to be spoken to in a sarcastic tone maybe you and Rockina can get together and work on your people / communication skills as a business memeber I'm quite sure it would have a positive effect on your business. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question.

lay 8 rounds out like they are loaded in a imaginary magazine.. Then lay your 5 round mag on top. Does it cover them? NO

You need a longer mag body, cutting the follower a lot will likely make the magazines unreliable.

I see where your coming from and appreciate your advice, thank you for taking the time to reply.

I can't answer any of your questions, but I do have some advice. Take all the time and energy you would have put into creating something with questionable results and use that to make a few extra bucks and buy the real deal. Easier said than done, I know, but so is what you are considering.

While I appreciate your information and reasoning, no one likes to be spoken to in a sarcastic tone maybe you and Rockina can get together and work on your people / communication skills as a business memeber I'm quite sure it would have a positive effect on your business. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question.

lay 8 rounds out like they are loaded in a imaginary magazine.. Then lay your 5 round mag on top. Does it cover them? NO

You need a longer mag body, cutting the follower a lot will likely make the magazines unreliable.

Sorry did not intend to be sarcastic. I was just point out the simplest way to check the practicality of the idea.

You asked if cutting the follower could make a 5 round 12 gauge mag hold 8 rounds. 8 rounds stacked up as if in a magazine takes about 3/4 of an inch more then the total over all of a normal 5 round magazine. Meaning that even without a follower or spring its only going to hold 6-7 rounds. You need to make the body 2.25 inches longer to hold 8 rounds. You could fabricate an extension easy enough.. I have a few designs of such items in my shop, they just don't seem practical now that you can buy larger mags cheap.

I design magazines, so I know a little bit. And for a follower to be reliable it must be at least half as tall as it is long, that is pretty much what the S-12 mag is already.

As someone who designs magazines what do you use? the russian 8's; AGP's what have you had good luck with? I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge on a topic you obviously know more than I.

Sorry did not intend to be sarcastic. I was just point out the simplest way to check the practicality of the idea.

You asked if cutting the follower could make a 5 round 12 gauge mag hold 8 rounds. 8 rounds stacked up as if in a magazine takes about 3/4 of an inch more then the total over all of a normal 5 round magazine. Meaning that even without a follower or spring its only going to hold 6-7 rounds. You need to make the body 2.25 inches longer to hold 8 rounds. You could fabricate an extension easy enough.. I have a few designs of such items in my shop, they just don't seem practical now that you can buy larger mags cheap.

I design magazines, so I know a little bit. And for a follower to be reliable it must be at least half as tall as it is long, that is pretty much what the S-12 mag is already.

You can't beat the Russian 8s I don't own any, but I have handled them and they are well made. I have a small pile of the 5 round Taiwanese mags, but in my opinion the plastic feels less strong then either surefire or AGP. What saves them in my opinion, is that they only hold five rounds, so there is less stress on them.

My opinion goes like so.. I feel that 10 round stick mags are to long and the 20 round drums are larger then I can find a use for.

Russian 5 round, has metal reinforcements

Russian 8 round, has metal reinforcements

SGM 5 round

Taiwanese 5 round (with fitting)

SGM 8 round

Promag 12 round drum (with tuning)

So if I had a itch to have a mag larger then 5 rounds I'd probably go with the SGM 8 round. Russian 8 rounds are just to expensive for me.

• Like 1

You can't beat the Russian 8s I don't own any, but I have handled them and they are well made. I have a small pile of the 5 round Taiwanese mags, but in my opinion the plastic feels less strong then either surefire or AGP. What saves them in my opinion, is that they only hold five rounds, so there is less stress on them.

My opinion goes like so.. I feel that 10 round stick mags are to long and the 20 round drums are larger then I can find a use for.

Russian 5 round, has metal reinforcements

Russian 8 round, has metal reinforcements

SGM 5 round

Taiwanese 5 round (with fitting)

SGM 8 round

Promag 12 round drum (with tuning)

So if I had a itch to have a mag larger then 5 rounds I'd probably go with the SGM 8 round. Russian 8 rounds are just to expensive for me.

actuall you can beat a russian 8. with an md 20. i have 1 russian 8, and 3 md 20s. ill take the md 20s above all else. :super: