First Saiga

Greets all, New here, just got my bone-stock import IZ-109 from the gun show, probably a bit sooner than I otherwise would have liked, but I don't know when they'll be $500 again, you know?

So I work in the ammunition industry, been shooting competitively for 20+ years, and have done some sorts of amateur smithing stuff, but generally nothing more complicated than what a drill press can handle.

Don't laugh, but I'm going to try one of Bernie's Center Balance bullpup kits on it and see how that turns out. Aside from that, my plans are the standard tuning and polish, gas plug (probably tac47) muzzle comp, and go from there. I want a magwell if I can make it fit, but I haven't confirmed if it will fit or even be a good idea with the bullpup conversion (Bernie doesn't know either.).

One thing I can't find is an elongated magazine release. Obviously due to the design I don't want one of the ones that moves the lever closer to the trigger guard, I'd like one that just makes it longer. Any good leads?

Anyway, hi!

• 5 months later...

Doink.

got my center balance Saiga12 Spike stock from Bernie. Initial thoughts: this is pretty nice. I've heard some reports about the classic, machined polymer stocks feeling kind of cheap, butbernie's new aluminum kit feels really nice.The aluminum parts are solid. The shroud is metal, I was expecting some sort of plastic. The buttstock is hard and small, I will see about adding a recoil pad to it because yikes. The grips are bolted on and are a sandpapery polymer that feels quite nice. Bonus that they can be easily unbolted for painting. Unexpectedly, it came with a second trigger linkage appropriate for converted saiga 12s. Installation was dead simple, just follow the instructions because there's a few non-obvious steps. Next post will have some detail pics.

pros: stupid simple install with included hex wrenches.

Kit should work with all existing drums or magwells (magwell may need slight modification)

Grips feel good.

Side rails are reversible, giving some added flexibility.

Good trigger linkage. Doesn't feel any mushier or sloppy than stock S12

No riser needed with aimpoint. The top rail is just right.

cons: stepdown rail instead of continuous top rail may be an issue for some, definitely an issue for iron sight installation.

unacceptable function with Izhmash 5rd mag. The back of the grip interferes with the bottom flare, making seating and unseating ridiculously hard. Surefire 12rd is perfect though!

only works with stock 19" barrel length. though one could shorten the shroud or go shroudless for shorties, I think SBRing this conversion is probably missing the point.

Buttstock geometry will probably make for harsher recoil. I aim to fix this with stick-on recoil pad appropriately sculpted.

One thing I can't find is an elongated magazine release. Obviously due to the design I don't want one of the ones that moves the lever closer to the trigger guard, I'd like one that just makes it longer. Any good leads?

Anyway, hi!

Welcome. :)

Anyone with a welder & a piece of copper to back it could elongate the mag catch you have by simply adding steel.

Just remove it from the gun first so you don't overheat the spring.

Welcome. :)

Anyone with a welder & a piece of copper to back it could elongate the mag catch you have by simply adding steel.

Just remove it from the gun first so you don't overheat the spring.

thanks, man. I figured that, but my access to fine welding is somewhat limited. (though I can probably bribe our shop guy for some pretty serious cnc machining time -- I could likely get a full lengthened mag catch easier than tacking on an extension. My life is weird that way.)

Okay here we go!

5935405228_bfa30bbb38_m.jpg5934844209_57c1711198_m.jpg

Yeah, before you say anything, it needs paint, I will take care of that as soon as I've decided.

5935405320_44f95024e4_m.jpg

The 12rd magazine is biggish, but doesn't interfere when shouldering or firing at all. I really need to try a Promag 12

and see if it's okay to load and shoulder without interference. I'd have to say a 20rd drum is right out.

5934844293_249efc6474_m.jpg

The foregrip (bernie calls it a tac-sleeve) slots into the base unit, and is secured by the thread protector/choke.

5935405432_f7b586925b_m.jpg

The receiver shroud/cheekrest is springy metal, and when installed is under a decent amount of tension. As it keeps

the trigger bar in place, this is probably for the best. It's secured with two bolts. You can also get a good look at the

trigger bar here. It's good stiff steel stock. The kit also comes with a second bar for converted/non-export trigger

placement.

5935405494_9525430477_m.jpg

You can see here how the trigger bar engages the very tip of the stock trigger, giving the most leverage possible. I'd think

a spring providing slight tension towards the trigger could take any and all slop out of the linkage, though it's hardly

noticeable as is.

5935405544_c3d6f4dd4a_m.jpg

The main unit secures to the shotgun with a bolt that goes where the foreend screw was. This combined with slotting into

the receiver just in front of the magazine makes for a very secure installation.

5935405598_6150b83f35_m.jpg

Close-up of the grip material. This is hard plastic, with some fairly aggressive texture on it. I like the way it feels. As a bonus

you can easily unscrew it to leave it off for painting.

5934844543_9db61128be_m.jpg

Here's where the unit slots into the receiver. This could be an issue for some magwells, but I honestly haven't had a close look

at any. Maybe someone here could weigh in on the possibilities here.

5934844617_ca7ffc75fa_m.jpg

Here's what makes the whole thing work, the screw that secures the unit to the barrel of the saiga.

5934844637_06f4479981_m.jpg

The trigger itself is pretty fugly cut plastic stock. It could probably do with some file work to make it more comfortable, but

it's functional and solidly attached to the quite beefy trigger bar.

5935405806_471528b6b0_m.jpg

The top shroud/rail has a cutout for the stock front bead. This is a zero-permanent-modifications kit.

5934844713_3874a718cb_m.jpg

When all parts are installed, you can see how tightly the tac-shroud fits to the stock gas plug. Aftermarket gas plugs would have

to be the same external size as stock to work with this kit. Also, obviously, access to the plug is limited. Bernie could probably

improve this kit by leaving a cut-out for gas-plug access and/or clearance for auto-adjusting plugs.

• Like 1

I've got an extended release.

See the pic in my signature photo.

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for!

Shoot me a PM, email, or phone call.

Matt

C&S

info@csm-w.com

csm-w.com

636-928-1511

That actually looks really cool. Get a Tromix Monster Brake! It'd add a couple inches in length, but help on recoil.

2360090.JPG

Oh, and paint it black!

Edited by angrychair
  • 3 weeks later...

Update with paint!

Decided to go the Krylon Camo Olive route. It's a Saiga, not an AR, it's not meant to have some fancy duracoat or cerakote finish, but a simple durable spray finish. Bonus that when I get tired of it, I can easily strip and re-paint! hopefully the paint will stick well enough to the aluminum. Will see after it fully cures, and mostly leave it alone till then!

5994852833_747a254df6_m.jpg5995411174_50953cb403_m.jpg5994853109_f78eb9cc40_m.jpg

• Like 2