how many rounds untill you start drilling?

My guns got about 50 rounds of Winchester #9 shot and about 45 Winchester X slugs through it so far. It had a 100% fte on setting 2 with the bird, and a few fte's with the slugs on 1. I got all the stuff together to take my 3 ports to .093 tonight, but I don't want to end up having an overgassed gun, and I also don't want to go on another shooting trip with my pump action saiga. If it were you, would you put more rounds through it first, or go ahead and drill the 3? It also has a tapco gas puck if that makes a difference.

It had a 100% fte on setting 2 with the bird, and a few fte's with the slugs on 1. I got all the stuff together to take my 3 ports to .093 tonight, but I don't want to end up having an overgassed gun,

There is no such thing as an over-gassed gun....it has an adjustable gas regulator.

IMHO, if it doesn't work out of the box, start drilling.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM :beer:

Assuming all 3 ports are visible and drilled all the way through, I suppose it comes down to how much of a hurry you're in and whether you're willing to keep shooting a gun that has FTEs. IMO, you don't have it broken in with what you've shot through it yet. I had a similar problem with mine when I first got it (though mine is a 4 holer). Getting a Gunfixer plug really helped. So did using Federal birdshot instead of Winchester. Though mine will go through Winchester low brass now, I still don't like the stuff.

Getting a lower power recoil spring to help during the break in time might not be a bad idea.

Corbin

I didn't read about how terrible the winchester is untill after, I have 50 of those left, 30 of the slugs, and 100 federal 7.5 shot for my next outing. To be frank, Im kind of impatient. I already have the gun completley disassembled for the conversion, so if im going to end up doing it id prefer doing it now.

It had a 100% fte on setting 2 with the bird, and a few fte's with the slugs on 1. I got all the stuff together to take my 3 ports to .093 tonight, but I don't want to end up having an overgassed gun,

There is no such thing as an over-gassed gun....it has an adjustable gas regulator.

I read in some thread that if you take the holes too big, it can end up overgassed for high brass loads, even on setting one.

+1 for having a pair

With my first two Saiga 12s I wasted a lot of ammo, money and time going to the range to 'see' if they were running well enough. With the last Saiga 12 (the one in the "Flawless" video) I threw every trick I knew at it straight out of the box and had an awesome first range trip. There were a few rounds that caught on the extractor slot, but that was easily addressed later with a file and it has been perfect since. No funky springs, plugs, or gadgets.

The "Break in" metality....

If I fire enough expensive buckshot and slugs, my weapon will run low power loads better :grimace:

The "Break in" mentality makes zero sense to me. If it were as simple as "shoot high power ammo in it", do you think there would be any full time Saiga 'smiths? Nope, these guys that offer 'reliability service' would be looking for new business ventures or employment. There is no substitute for good old fashined metal working or gunsmithing.

Why waste all of that money on ammo to maybe remove a few burrs? Go buy some hobby files and some sandpaper and start reprofiling. Do some research and get to work, but go slow.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Well, I did 3 at .093. Getting the gas block of wasn't half the pain in the ass getting the lower pin out was, and then the half hour search for the spring after it shot across the room. I got lucky and didn't have to file out the hole in the block, even drilled out all 3 holes fit in the ring.

to OP, I was JUST like you, I went to the range the first time, and my gun shot just OK. My buddy's S12 shot HORRIBLE. To make matters worse we got scammed by the range and ended up paying way more than expected, so if I ever have to return to that place (not much choice around here), I wanted my gun to run flawless. So I said fuq it and not only drilled mine out, I also added a 4th hole. I have heard of people with 4 holes larger than .093 and not feel like they are over gassed. Frankly, since you can always use a plug to dial down the gas, I doubt highly your going to hurt the gun, especially if you add a buffer. As for the fouling thing....I clean my gun after every trip to the range anyway, and rarely am I going to shoot over 200-300 rounds in a trip, so that is a non issue I think.