front sight removal

I did a search and came up empty but I was just wondering if the front site screwed out. I have access to a shotgun front sight kit with different threadings but I didn't want to take a set of pliers to it and tear it up without knowing for sure.

If you have a newer S-12, it's staked in place and cannot be unscrewed. The early models were threaded and could be easily removed. They kept coming out and getting lost so the factory changed the way they were doing them. I believe this was somewhere around ' 05 or so. It's easy to tell though....if your front bead has a ball looking shape to it, instead of a more flattened cone shape, it's non threaded.

With those you have to grind them off flush with the surface. You can then drill them out and thread, but be careful no to do it with the puck installed, or booger up the inside of the gas block. Also of course, don't screw anything down in there that will protrude to the inside and get in the way.

• Like 3

If you have a newer S-12, it's staked in place and cannot be unscrewed. The early models were threaded and could be easily removed. They kept coming out and getting lost so the factory changed the way they were doing them. I believe this was somewhere around ' 05 or so. It's easy to tell though....if your front bead has a ball looking shape to it, instead of a more flattened cone shape, it's non threaded.

With those you have to grind them off flush with the surface. You can then drill them out and thread, but be careful no to do it with the puck installed, or booger up the inside of the gas block. Also of course, don't screw anything down in there that will protrude to the inside and get in the way.

This is precisely what I did, with the addition of some epoxy putty between the sight and gas block, then screwed down.

P1030765.jpg

P1030763.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Tru-Bead Universal. It's on their website on the "wing shooting" page, but I got it at Dick's on sale. Come with 5 different color replaceable fibers and several different size screws. It was very easy to put on, once I decided to go past the point of no return and grind off the factory sight and drill into the gas block. I didn't drill all the way through, just deep enough for the screw, and it seems that the screw is much harder than the gas block because it self-tapped into the hole (I tried it on scrap first).

ETA: It is the same height as the factory sight if you don't take off anything besides the bead and serrated part if the rib. Part #TG949A

Edited by Yeoldetool

Tru-Bead Universal. It's on their website on the "wing shooting" page, but I got it at Dick's on sale. Come with 5 different color replaceable fibers and several different side screws. It was very easy to put on, once I decided to go past the point of no return and grind off the factory sight and drill into the gas block. I didn't drill all the way through, just deep enough for the screw, and it seems that the screw is much harder than the gas block because it self-tapped into the hole (I tried it on scrap first).

ETA: It is the same height as the factory sight if you don't take off anything besides the bead and serrated part if the rib. Part #TG949A

Do you remember what size screw you used to install it? Also, do you have a pic from the side?

Edited by Czar

Yes, it was the smallest screw in the package, in case I had to enlarge the hole for some reason. Got it right the first time though. :angel: This pic is before it was finished and painted.

post-23857-0-24159400-1300415649_thumb.jpg

Yes, it was the smallest screw in the package, in case I had to enlarge the hole for some reason. Got it right the first time though. :angel: This pic is before it was finished and painted.

How much did you grind to get the base of the FO sight flat against the GB? I bought the same FO today, but the FO base is longer than the elevated portion on the GB.

Sorry, I thought I explained that already, but it was in a different thread. The only thing I ground off was the bead and post, and the serrated part of the rib. This leaves a small flat area to work with between the two spots that were ground off. I then filled the ground areas and under area the that extends past the rib with an epoxy putty before screwing down the sight. After the putty was hard I very carefully filed away the excess. Some of it can be trimmed with a sharp knife as it's hardening.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, I thought I explained that already, but it was in a different thread. The only thing I ground off was the bead and post, and the serrated part of the rib. This leaves a small flat area to work with between the two spots that were ground off. I then filled the ground areas and under area the that extends past the rib with an epoxy putty before screwing down the sight. After the putty was hard I very carefully filed away the excess. Some of it can be trimmed with a sharp knife as it's hardening.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

that is a super nice set of furniture you got there! it would really look good with a CSS trigger guard!:unsure: