Saiga 12 flash hiders

To me flash hiders are to conceal your position. The S12 to me is a close range weapon, if you have a rifle for long range shots, how are you going to conceal your position at close range with a shotgun. If your sniping with slugs then I'm all for it.

If your going to get one, I recommend one of these from MD Arms.

The short one is 2 3/16" and the longer one is around 2 5/8". They are about the most reasonably priced out there and I think they are the best looking. I just got the longer one.

flashmed.jpg

With a 12 gauge, you should be more concerned with helping control the muzzle IMO. As previously stated, it is a close in weapon so the blast and flash are going to be very obvious. A brake to control recoil and muzzle flip would be a better investment. I've had pretty good results from a Tromix Shark.

There are some combination muzzle brake/flash hiders out there if you want a little of both, Greg/CSS has these discounted at the moment. I picked one up because they were inexpensive and I was a bit undecided on what muzzle attachment to buy:

9brakeplug.jpg

Edited by fauxknight

I never thought of the night blindness, is that really something you should consider? If so, would a flash hider really prevent it?

Good question since much of the flash is diverted sideways rather than directly in front. I'm interested in real-world empirical evidence also.

Edited by Mike1234567

I never thought of the night blindness, is that really something you should consider? If so, would a flash hider really prevent it?

Good question since much of the flash is diverted sideways rather than directly in front. I'm interested in real-world empirical evidence also.

white walls reflect lots of light

white walls reflect lots of light

Mirrors do too. :smoke:

So... in a "home" environment... flash suppressors actually blind worse than having none?

if its a true flash suppressor it is supposed to reduce the flash, not just redirect. A flash suppressor works by controlling the expansion of the gasses, any openings that go across the path of the barrel tend to make bigger flashes. Openings in line with the barrel tend to reduce flashes. Circular openings tend to make bigger flashes, although that can be improved if those openings are counter countersunk. Openings that cause sharp changes in the direction of the gases tend to make more flash (which is why flash suppressor openings look like counter sunk stretched rectangles /ovals