I'm getting some bad vibes from him, and nobody on steelsoldiers has a good thing to say about them...

...but, if they are in tight enough financial straights, I might get a better buy. I'm going in the first week of Oct with cash to pick out my truck. I was promised a selection that would be ready to drive away, and a totally cleaned and refurbished truck for a MAXIMUM of $6000.00 for an M35A2. Some options of lower quality for less money...

$5,000 to $6,000 about right if no rust and cargo cover. Especially check around head lights and lower doors. Take 1/2 drive breaker bar to check underside fluids. If milky they got bad gasket or seals. In motor area, check different filter canisters. Recent rebuilds by gov. have rebuild tags screwed in all over the place. Guard units usually lower in hrs/miles yet sit around more. Do have a list of good parts suppliers if you need. Drain air tanks after air build up, if oily mix comes out with water, got compressor problems. Good luck. :smoke:

• Like 1

I'll definitely follow the advice on the fluids... I didn't even think about looking the air tanks for compressor oil! Great tip. I was planning on taking an extendable magnetic retrieval tool as well to fish inside the pigs for metal.

You're running 395s on stock wheels? That was my plan if I have enough money. 6-7 395s, and just keep or sell the 10 9-20s that come with it. The improvement in top speed is attractive, as long as it doesn't require major surgery to fit them.

I'm also trying to figure out what I need to swap to update the LDT to LDS spec. From what I can tell it is the same engine in every respect but the intake valves and the oil channel pistons (oil pan sump and starter reversed for chassis reasons, not power or lifespan)

I was debating bobbing mine later, but I actually like the tandem axle and load carrying ability. I don't plan on going anywhere near 10,000lbs, but a car or building supplies could easily be in my tucks future. She will have to work to earn her keep.

I just want to run 65mph, maximize fuel economy when I keep my foot out of it, and keep it alive as long as possible. I might try to swap a %ton PS pump onto it and try to find a PS box that I can adapt... maybe a schoolbus box? I'm a little hesitant to switch to pure hydraulic ram steering.

• 2 weeks later...