How easy should it be to load a lloaded mag bolt closed?

Just send your bolt and carrier to Cobra or Paulyski both are bussiness members here and have your bolt polished and reworked and you can load on a closed bolt with no problem. Storing your S-12 with the bolt opened or using a short shell doesn't help when it come to doing reloads it is the best mod you can have done to your gun besides moving your trigger group.

• Like 3

Actually I did try to pm paulyski but never heard back? maybe my fault wrong button or post? anyway been working on it my self slowly and looks really good for an amateur? but doing it slow so as not to do too much! cycles well and loads fairly easy on closed bolt I think it is my fault too used to rifle stuff this more finess is required? didn't know cobra did it till today while researching more about force and finess required?

Just send your bolt and carrier to Cobra or Paulyski both are bussiness members here and have your bolt polished and reworked and you can load on a closed bolt with no problem. Storing your S-12 with the bolt opened or using a short shell doesn't help when it come to doing reloads it is the best mod you can have done to your gun besides moving your trigger group.

Edited by Guns Are Great

It's not too difficult to insert a magazine with the bolt closed.

A little pressure towards the front of the mag is all it takes. That's how I always insert mine. It gets much easier with practice. The top round will get a little scuffed on the top edge, but nothing that effects feeding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhSLzAL1HFE

Edited by KC913

Thanks I get a very small rub and very small roll down is all? maybe setting the bar too high?

It's not too difficult to insert a magazine with the bolt closed.

A little pressure towards the front of the mag is all it takes. That's how I always insert mine. It gets much easier with practice. The top round will get a little scuffed on the top edge, but nothing that effects feeding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhSLzAL1HFE

NOT to take away business from business members but there are instructional threads here for the DIY type. All that takes is the courage to attempt the job yourself and the tools. These men can also repair a botched job.

Never thought of the 2" top round? how does feed? Okay?

Noob here but I've read that some either load/store with the bolt open... or use a mini (short) 2" round on top of the mag.

Dunno... my S-12 and S-20 are still at my FFL awaiting pick-up... trying to save on FFL fees, LOL!! That's why I tried to make it VERY clear that I'm just a NOOB and only read this info. That stated, I have done MUCH research!! I've read that the mini shells feed just fine though!!:killer:

Edited by Mike1234567

I agree that if you practice a little you can load on a closeed bolt. Of course I am obsessed and spend a lot of time messing with my S12. Using the above stated DIY thread I very carefully polished my bolt, removing almost no material. I definatly plan on sending my next Saiga's bolt off to get it professionaly reprofiled and polished. That being said, a mag can be loaded on a closed bolt with a little bit of practice. Regarding the OP, no it should not be easy like a typical AK, unless reprofiled by you or a professional.

NOT to take away business from business members but there are instructional threads here for the DIY type. All that takes is the courage to attempt the job yourself and the tools. These men can also repair a botched job.

Depends on how botched.

If you punch through where you're removing steel for ease of mag insertion & I have to add steel to the bolt there, then reprofile & blend, then re-hone the female part of the inside of the bolt's body so it can rotate while the bolt head remains stationary, that fee may be steep.

I've repaired bolts & carriers where people went too far & punched through, or made it so the bottom of the carrier wouldn't reset the hammer & it ain't exactly adding JB-Weld.

Even when using copper to back, you get distortion on the insides & that then needs re-honing.

My tutorial should be done only by those who know their capabilities & are able to look & see what is going on as they work.

Also, when looking at pictures of MY work, keep in mind that my mirror polished surfaces are reflecting everything around them, so the exact profiles may look deceptive in 2 dimensional pictures.

In other words, be true to yourself & know your abilities.

Not trying to discourage DIY'ers, but lately I've seen some royal screwups come through the shop.

Some people do a decent job for their first time, but others, not so much.

I've fixed a lot of stuff for free, but that takes up time that I really should be spending fulfilling my other orders.

I just have this damn ethic where I don't want to send crap work out of the shop.

Now back to the shop for me.

Working on a set of 8 to try to knock a sizable chunk of my sale rush out.

I have touched it up and polished per instructions and video online. I did remove some material but nothing crazy! Didn't punch through! Will be sending it off more than likely pretty soon? Getting another drum 1st hopefully MD Arms won't make me get a Promag 20? And will still have a smoked or clear or maybe a blk cover one in stock end of the week, you know pay day! and just a mag or 2 more and some ammo then glassy and classy bolt and carrier! resets every thing and shoots anything so really I just want it shined up to make other ppl say SHE-AT would you look at that!!

Depends on how botched.

If you punch through where you're removing steel for ease of mag insertion & I have to add steel to the bolt there, then reprofile & blend, then re-hone the female part of the inside of the bolt's body so it can rotate while the bolt head remains stationary, that fee may be steep.

I've repaired bolts & carriers where people went too far & punched through, or made it so the bottom of the carrier wouldn't reset the hammer & it ain't exactly adding JB-Weld.

Even when using copper to back, you get distortion on the insides & that then needs re-honing.

My tutorial should be done only by those who know their capabilities & are able to look & see what is going on as they work.

Also, when looking at pictures of MY work, keep in mind that my mirror polished surfaces are reflecting everything around them, so the exact profiles may look deceptive in 2 dimensional pictures.

In other words, be true to yourself & know your abilities.

Not trying to discourage DIY'ers, but lately I've seen some royal screwups come through the shop.

Some people do a decent job for their first time, but others, not so much.

I've fixed a lot of stuff for free, but that takes up time that I really should be spending fulfilling my other orders.

I just have this damn ethic where I don't want to send crap work out of the shop.

Now back to the shop for me.

Working on a set of 8 to try to knock a sizable chunk of my sale rush out.

Well put.