My Grandfather gave me his Remington 742 Woodsmaster in 30-06 this afternoon. My grandfather on my fathers side actually bought it new and used it as his deer rifle in the mid-late 80's. Unfortunately he passed away about a year before my birth. When he passed my grandfather on my mothers side bought the rifle from my widowed grandmother and fully restored it. New furniture, Pachmyer recoil pad, nice sling, and a Redfield Tracker 3x9 40mm scope with see through rings. He came to me today while i was outside working on his truck and told me the history of the rifle and that he wanted me to have it. Pretty cool heirloom considering it has history on both sides of the family. I got the rifle, 5 mags, and a .50 cal can full of 30-06 ammo.

IMG_20110306_195844.jpg

Edited by slostang
  • Like 1

Its going nowhere. I plan on shooting it soon just to see if the scope is still zero'd, then drop it off at my smith for a full fluff and buff, then put it in the back of my safe for my kids god forbid i have any... lulz.

Looks like you got one in good condition, and it has sentimental value.

However, be advised, it is NOT the greatest hunting gun ever made. I'm

not saying that to be a dick, rather, to warn you that the bolt will

chatter on the receiver rails and eventually gall them up, a problem

for which there is no economical fix, but a good welder gunsmith can fix them.

The problem was that the bolt locks into the barrel, and the receiver could get

away with being softer metal. However, that cheap solution eventually wears out.

This was one of Remington's first semi-autos, and they didn't get it quite right.

I own one in much worse shape than yours, got it for free, and it has so many issues

I stopped shooting it. It is a candidate for my burial for 5 years test gun preservation

program.

The reason I'm giving you all the doom and gloom is because this is NOT a gun that you can

take from your granddad who shot it maybe 5 times in 5 years and go shoot it 500 rounds

in a month and expect it to live. This rifle is ok for hunting duties, shoot a couple shots

at the range to make sure it's on, then hunt with it and shoot 2 or 3 things a season. It

is not a case by case by case ammo dumper, because you will EAT those receiver rails to nothing.

For what it's worth, Gander Mountain will only give 50 bucks for one of those, regardless of condition.

I'm definitely not telling you to sell it, or not to use it at all, just remember that every shot

is dinging those rails just a bit, and light duty is about all it can handle.

Looks like you got one in good condition, and it has sentimental value.

However, be advised, it is NOT the greatest hunting gun ever made. I'm

not saying that to be a dick, rather, to warn you that the bolt will

chatter on the receiver rails and eventually gall them up, a problem

for which there is no economical fix, but a good welder gunsmith can fix them.

The problem was that the bolt locks into the barrel, and the receiver could get

away with being softer metal. However, that cheap solution eventually wears out.

This was one of Remington's first semi-autos, and they didn't get it quite right.

I own one in much worse shape than yours, got it for free, and it has so many issues

I stopped shooting it. It is a candidate for my burial for 5 years test gun preservation

program.

The reason I'm giving you all the doom and gloom is because this is NOT a gun that you can

take from your granddad who shot it maybe 5 times in 5 years and go shoot it 500 rounds

in a month and expect it to live. This rifle is ok for hunting duties, shoot a couple shots

at the range to make sure it's on, then hunt with it and shoot 2 or 3 things a season. It

is not a case by case by case ammo dumper, because you will EAT those receiver rails to nothing.

For what it's worth, Gander Mountain will only give 50 bucks for one of those, regardless of condition.

I'm definitely not telling you to sell it, or not to use it at all, just remember that every shot

is dinging those rails just a bit, and light duty is about all it can handle.

Thanks for the info. I literally know nothing about these... haha