AK Rear Sight Block

I have been pondering what to do with sights for my Saiga 12, and I can not find anything that makes me happy, until I saw Dinzag's upper hand guard conversion. Now I must have a rear AK Sight Block with adjustable leaf!

Ok, my questions:

Will a standard AK Rear Sight block fit on my Saiga 12? I kinda doubt it. Any idea what modifications need to be made to make it work?

I plan to buy one of the elevated front sights for the front of my gun. Any idea if the two will line up right?

I will never use my SG for more than point and shoot. I don't need long range accuracy, so I am thinking about a reflex scope, if even that. Why do I want a 300m sight? Dunno, I like em. They look cool. I want my Saiga to be very AK like when I finish it.

I have seen Dinzag's site, and I saw the gas tube conversion he does. It ONLY costs $300! I don't doubt the amount of time involved or the quality of the work he does. Therefore the cost is completely justified, but that is too much for me just to add a top hand guard. Especially when you add in the Gunsmith cost to remove and reassemble the gas block, as I am not comfortable doing that. I would rather pick up a new upper for my AR or a Saiga 223, rather than add an extra piece of wood to my gun. Just my preference.

Ergo, I wish to just add the rear sight block, much like Dinzag does, but without having Dinzag do it. Has anyone done it? Have any thoughts as to my questions?

Edited by Dwarvenlord1

I imagine that you could mod an AK block (with rear sight) and weld it on to a S12 gas tube, but if you'd need a smith to take the tube off I'd imagne that you'd have to pay to have the mod work done too and I'd bet that the cost would be as much (if not more) than Dinzag charges.

• Like 1

If you just want one stuck on there sure, but welding a rectangular sight onto a rounded gas block would take a lot of work if you wanted it to look good.

Exactly what I am trying to get at. I have never seen the bottom of an AK rear sight block. I assume they must be rounded to some degree, but I was wondering if anyone had tried to fit one to a Saiga 12. I assume some careful shaping of the bottom of the block should be all that is necessary, or am I missing something?

The AK sight is on the trunion that mounts the barrel, the same bit of steel runs all the way to the bottom of the reciver (or almost anyway) so to simply weld it on the the top isn't really an option. You could try and cut it out so it would fit and not be so tall but that's going to require a lot of machining to make work.

• Like 1

Google image search refreshed my memory, might not go all the way to the bottom of the reciver but it does extend under the barrel.

From gunbroker....

50449187.jpg

Edited by TTMR

Ok looks like he cuts the barrel attachment ring off and welds it to the gas tube to me, along with the rear handguard ring. Then you have to mod/fab a front handguard attachment....

Ohh! That is a nice pic. I was looking for something like that last night. I must have just looked at sites that sell them, not google images. Duh!

I am thinking that removing the bands that go around the barrel, and some cutting of the bottom cross bar might just get me most of the way there... A little shaping and a couple spot welds later...

I am not worried about the upper hand guard at all. I plan on getting the lower wood hand guard with the vents and call it a day for now. It looks much like this: http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-677/Saiga-12-20-OEM/Detail

I emailed Dinzag about this as well, but I don't expect him to respond as busy as he is.

Unforutnatly it looks like it would take a lot more than that unless you remove the saiga rear sight block.

I do however wish you the best of luck, and if you figgure it out lemme know how ya did it :super:

gonna look at it tonight with the gun in front of me. I'll probably pick up a block soon and set em side by side to see exactly what I need to do, and probably make a huge mess in the living room trying to get the damn thing to fit the way I want it to. Then I will buy another block and hopefully not screw that one up. :-)

If I can make it work the way that I want it to, I will post about it with pics.

• Like 1

You can cut to rear sight block down to the right height and weld it to the top, close to where your sights are on a unconverted gun. You will need a front sight (from Dinzag or others) it will be a great deal of work to cut the block to the right height to co-witness to the front but the front you can adjust also. I have a cut down gas block and front sight I was going to do the same thing to without cutting the gas tube.

Why would you want a 300 meter sight leaf on a shotgun? Seems like a waste. Just asking.

I agree 300m is a waste, thats why Izhmash uses 1000m rear sights.

Here's the Dinzag mod, he does fantastic work

S12RakurzSlingRight.JPG

Z

• Like 1

That's what I'm talking about, I want a S12 folks look at and don't know it's a shotgun

Convert it and throw an optic on it. (Not a walmart BSA)

99% of people will be shocked to find out it's a shotgun.

Why would you want a 300 meter sight leaf on a shotgun? Seems like a waste. Just asking.

+1 I never understood the desire for standard AK sights on a S12 for anything more than asthetic reasons. I like the snag resistant lightweight factory sights. To hell with form.... give me function.

OP,

If you like it and want it.... then go for it and post pics when it is done.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

She's converted, and some folks can't tell :wub:

Okay, the S12 might look cool with the sight leaf, but is the sight accurate or even functional on the firearm? Yeah, crank that thing up to the 500m setting and see where it hits.unsure.gif

hmmph

Oh, I know ;)

Just sayin... I happen to like holding my AK S-12 on target...looking like, feeling like, and being like an AK on steroids...and actually drawing a bead with the same familiar sight picture I'm used to on all my other favorite weapons. That's all. I hate the factory S-12 sights. If that makes me a mall ninja in some circles..well....who cares. Metric measurements aside, it's all relevant. I can get right on target with slugs and have plenty of room for adjustment.

post-1293-0-68727900-1299646291_thumb.jpg

> the OP.... send me a PM and I'll help you get what you need, as long as you can weld it on.

• Like 1

Okay, the S12 might look cool with the sight leaf, but is the sight accurate or even functional on the firearm?

Sure they work, why wouldn't they? I use my irons for slugs and clays all the time.

Z