I know this has been discussed a bit already but I am curious if anyone out there has up-to-date, real-life experience comparing the Red Jacket converted Saiga (RJ132) to the Interarms IAC 47. I kind of like the shorter barrel and classic look of the IAC in wood furniture but the Saiga has such a great reputation it's hard to dispute its quality. Not sure if it's worth the extra $100 to get the Red Rock, though. Both seem to be pretty great guns. Opinions?

Edited by cormyr

Me personally. I like the IAC look better. If I bought the Red Jacket saiga i'dstill have to change the gas tube and add ak furniture. So to me the IAC is a better deal but RJ makes some fine weapons and I wouldn't hesitate to buy theirs.

Me personally. I like the IAC look better. If I bought the Red Jacket saiga i'dstill have to change the gas tube and add ak furniture. So to me the IAC is a better deal but RJ makes some fine weapons and I wouldn't hesitate to buy theirs.

The Saiga does have the advantage of brand new, latest Russian mil spec receiver, barrel and innards tho. That has always been the main selling point for Saiga rifles. They are a known quantity, as far as good accuracy, fit and decent finish.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU
  • Like 1

They both are some Nice Ak's , I have handled a few of each & you really can not go wrong ..

I like the wood furniture

IAC47WOOD.jpg

But The RJ Is a nice light Saiga Built up by a very Reputable & Popular company ... I could Imagine the RJ will retain some Value or even increase depending on some things ..

RJ13211.jpg

Don't forget about this Red Jacket Polish Folder !! Atlantic has them in Stock NOW!! Great Classic look Built by RJ

with a great warranty!

RJPOLISH.jpg

FROM Atlantic :

Red Jacket AK 47 Rifle Polish Folder , 762 x 39 semi auto rifle built using original imported Polish AK 47 part kits and US parts . They have a very durable finish and are backed up by Red Jackets lifetime warranty . Comes with 1 - 30 round mag and padded rifle hard case.

Lifetime warranty

16 inch chrome lined barrel

Bayonet lug

High quality No Dak Spud Receiver

G2 Fire control

Gun Cote finish

Original wood rated NRA Good

Under folder stock set

1- 30 Round mag

Padded rifle hard case

Edited by JohnnyBmore

The Saiga does have the advantage of brand new, latest Russian mil spec receiver, barrel and innards tho. That has always been the main selling point for Saiga rifles. They are a known quantity, as far as good accuracy, fit and decent finish.

As long as the parts kit used wasn't dug up from a rice paddy in Vietnam in 2009 then it doesn't really bother me. Also, while I like the authentic look I really don't care if its original or new US made. As long as its durrable and made correctly and good quality.

What im really holding out for is a 5.45 vepr. Waiting till they start coming in in numbers so that the price isn't $1,000. Not sure how long I can wait for though or if they'll come in in any large numbers. Might have to settle for the IAC74 or a used AK74.

Back on topic....it depands on what you like. A properly built AK will run like an AK. The underfolder is nice too! If you prefer new and don't plant to change/add anything get the Saiga.

Well I checked around and found out some info. Interarms is a subsidiary of High Standard. I called Atlantic as well as High Standard. Apparently the IAC47 is made to milspec with Green Mountain forged, chrome lined barrel, receiver is either NDS or Elk River heat treated (usually NDS per Atlantic}, and a G2 FCG (per HS). The finish is Parkerized. The wood furniture is mil surplus and thats one way they keep the cost down. I think it looks great and old school but in a brand new, high quality build, assembled in USA with mostly US components so no 922r issues to deal with. At that price I think it's a winner. Placed my order today.

i found this on another site posted by atlantic:

"The AK barrels are made by Green Mountain with 4140 Commercial heat treated x- rayed bar stock steel the barrels are then sent out for hard chrome lining that meets or exceeds the US military's requirements for M16 military barrels. The barrels were designed using original AK barrel blueprints and have the proper bore & rifle dimensions."

Edited by cormyr

I was going to get the IAC 47 myself but jumped on a sale of a Beretta CX4Storm Carbine. I still will get that rifle just have to wait. Spring is here and this is the time of year my sales increase. Already seeing a substantial increase from last year so hope some big commission checks with be here soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Go for it! There is a section for gear reviews here. Its not "gear" but you could throw it in there. Or under "other ak rifles". People do reviews of their weapons all the time. If its a problem with the online vendor here then settle it with them privately.

I was going to buy one of them but ended up getting a different ak74

I say stick with the real new Russian AK's. You can send in your own original military wood AK stock set to use in the conversion, if you have a set, or get a reproduction wood set installed by one of the top AK conversion gunsmiths out there.