.308 dented cases-Reloading

As expected my 308 puts a slight crease in the cases about half way down. Some dents are deaper than others. I Know a resizing die will make everything good again, but was wondering how safe is it. What really happens if you blow a case on a semi-auto? And would it be ok to resize creased/dented cases. When I reload my 45ACP pistol cases I have had cases split with no ill effects on the firearm or myself. I know the cases on a .308 have much higher pressures. I wasn't going to load heavy loads, but maybe improve the accuracy on my new 308 carbine.

• 5 weeks later...

I wrapped a few layers of 100 mile an hour tape over the upper lip of the ejection port on the receiver cover. No more dents.

But when I was using Federal cases I reloaded a bunch of dented brass. No problems at all.

Edited by Snakum

I've used dented cases quite a few times without any ill effect. I did have one case split at the neck today but there was no noticable difference while firing. I've never had one split through the body, regardless of how dented they were.