Getting back into the shooting "sports" there seems to be a lot more movement these days and from my observation there are a lot of young kids in the sport at least out here. That translates into better be exercising if you want to keep up with the kids.

Begging the question do you exercise with an eye to on making you a better competitior and if how?

I'm working on getting ready for my RKC Preperation doing a lot of kettlebell stuff.

got to go to work see ya all later!!

• Like 2

Top I'm not a big competitor but I just started up on the treadmill. Figure I could shed a few pounds that way and have more endurance so at the end of standing in the sun all day I won't be so tired. Also doing some sit-ups and push-ups to nothing crazy just easing into it.

Figured that it would help in life to.

I used to ride my bike to work, doing about 60 miles a week, but got tired of dodging cars. Since then I get up at 4:30AM, do a mile and a half on the tred mill, 40 situps and 30 real pushups. A little bit of free weights, not alot of weight, and head off to work. I was using a pull up bar for a while till my elbow started acting up. At 55 I'm not trying to get a beach body, just want to stay tight so I can run and gun with the young guys.

Doug

I have to stay in shape for my job. Trying to hump around the mountains with 45-70lbs on your back everyday with a bunch of twenty year olds gets harder every year.

For years I used Bill Philip's 'Body for Life' program. Its a good program for getting big. I found that I'd always hit a plateau with my lifting and then get injured by trying to push it. I also came to realize that I didn't need the bulk that this program provides. Shedding 15 lbs of muscle mass did my joints (knees) wonders.

I switched to the 'P90X' program for a number of years. Its a great program, if you can stand the trainer, Tony Horton. He gets annoying after a while. I needed something different so I switched it up. Again, this is a great overall program.

Currently I've been following the 'Core Performance' program by Mark Verstegen. I'm really liking this program. I'm sure I'll get bored with it eventually. However, it is a great core/cardio/injury prevention routine.

The Mrs. hug with P90X longer than I did. She finally got bored with Tony and started in on some of the 'Biggest Loser' videos. She's seen good results with Bob and Jillian's vids. YMMV.

I think the biggest thing is just to do something. If all you have is treadmill, then find a program that incorporates it. Or, if all you have is dumbbells, find a way to use them (a good set of dumbbells is about the best thing you can own). Their is now a "gym in a bag" available. Basically a $100 for a great set of bands to use wherever you go. Whatever you have, use it. Go outside with your kids and shoot some hoops...whatever. The hardest part is getting started.

intervals (calisthenic/sprints/med ball), GPP, Deads/squats/presses/rows, body thru space, plyos, heavybag...always mixing it up. Well sat on the couch for the last 3 months and it really took a toll, so getting back into shape. Right now am on a 100 rep pushup and 200 rep BW squat programs and are a lot tougher than they sound, starting out. Keeping that perfect form sucks the energy right out of ya.

Am looking into getting Cliff Weises's Combat Fit 2 after this for something more organized than I usually have done in the past. I have to say my body responds best to GPP, nothing to win Mr. Universe but a 160 lb. farm boy could whip that bodybuilder's ass. It's functional strength you just cannot replicate totally with exercise equipment. Plus you get a lot of free beer helping buddies move, make clearings in the woods, hang drywall, whatever.

Crossfit looks like the way to go if you are already in good shape, no stagnating or plateauing just maintaining peak strength and fitness. Really good if you do another short and have to devote a lot of training time to skills particular to that.

I gotta quit smoking. I was a heavy (hard) drug and alcohol user for several years, quit that stuff with no problem. But can't break free of the cowboy killers, though I have cut down quite a bit. Hope to make it just something to wake up, enjoy after dinner and sex, etc. 5 a day I could live with. But this has been my excuse always to get out of cardio and say intervals and bag work cover it or swimming in the summer. But in truth, hockey fans will note Bob Probert, the greatest fighter in NHL history, was a second half technical fighter and also took regular playing shifts...and smoked 2 packs a day of Parlaiments. The man was a marvel of endurance (though passed away at 45 last June of a heart attack). I had childhood athsma that seemed to have went away as a teen, playing pond hockey, played my ass off 4+ hours every day. I was old when I started smoking too, 23 or 24, chewed before that, but my ex-wife smoked so I picked that up in no time.

Edited by Steppe Sweeper