Checked out the local pawn shop for some ammo deals, when I came across this Saiga. First thing I noticed that it was already converted, so I decided to have a look at it. Upon closer inspection, it was an EAA Saiga, made in 1999. It wasn't a home conversion either. This thing came from the factory as is. It had a 30 round AK mag, so I popped the cover to see the bullet guide. There wasn't one installed, It was solid, just like the WASR I was comparing it to. It also had a welded on AK74 style brake, and the standard Saiga forearm. The forearm was not like a standard AK. All polymer furniture, looked great. I'd never seen anything like it, and I didn't even think to look at the price tag. I didn't try to take a pic either :[. What is it? What is it worth? Rarity?

Edited by jmzzl

SaigaDone.jpg

Looked just like that, except it had a welded on AK74 brake. The brake and FSB were also one piece. Also, the rivet holes above the pistol grip were not there. They had been filled in.

Hmmmm I CAN BE IN LOUSIVILLE IN 2.5 HOURS MAN!!! Where the fack is this thing?? :haha: :haha: :haha:

Cause if it is as described it sounds really interesting!!!

Louisville? More like Loserville!

I don't know how else to describe this thing. I'm a regular there, so next time I'm in there, I'll find out more and take a pic.

Edited by jmzzl

Tag for interest.

I don't see any way this would've gotten in the country in 1999 in that form, right in the middle of the AWB when pistol grips and hi-cap mags were banned "evil features" and not just "non-sporting".

I'm guessing somebody riveted in a Romy bullet guide, or maybe it came with a guide installed way back then? My knowledge of Saigas is all post AWB. Any idea what kind of FCG it has in it? That would tell you something about whether it was converted stateside or not.

It's not functionally any different than a converted Saiga, and still lacks the handguard retainer if I read your description right. So probably not worth much more than a normal Saiga but if the price is right, go for it.

Edited by rob-cubed

Tag for interest.

I don't see any way this would've gotten in the country in 1999 in that form, right in the middle of the AWB when pistol grips and hi-cap mags were banned "evil features" and not just "non-sporting".

I'm guessing somebody riveted in a Romy bullet guide, or maybe it came with a guide installed way back then? My knowledge of Saigas is all post AWB. Any idea what kind of FCG it has in it? That would tell you something about whether it was converted stateside or not.

It's not functionally any different than a converted Saiga, and still lacks the handguard retainer if I read your description right. So probably not worth much more than a normal Saiga but if the price is right, go for it.

The bullet guide looks like it was riveted in, but everything is flush and professional looking. I'll look at the FCG next time I'm in there, and I'll get pics of everything.

Was the trigger, buttstock or pistol grip U.S. marked?

If it is, then it is a high-end conversion with the holes welded and finished over. If it isn't, then I am not sure the rifle is legal under 922r unless there was some loophole for a special law enforcement run.

Yeah, almost sounds like someone did a high end back end conversion on it and left the front of the rifle alone. I can't see how else that would have made it in to the states at that time.

The front of the rifle had an AK74 style muzzle brake welded on.

Was the trigger, buttstock or pistol grip U.S. marked?

If it is, then it is a high-end conversion with the holes welded and finished over. If it isn't, then I am not sure the rifle is legal under 922r unless there was some loophole for a special law enforcement run.

Id never seen a buttstock like that. It kinda looked like the solid Tapco stock, but had a weird sling mount. I didn't see any us markings, but it doesn't mean they weren't there.

Where are the pics? And if there was a loophole around the 922r, why can't the rest of us take advantage of it :(

I've been sick and haven't had a chance to get out. I'll probably run back in there Monday or Tuesday. It should still be there.

Just got back from the pawn shop, and got some pics. There were indeed nylon hole plugs where the FCG had been moved. I thought the holes were filled and repainted, but thats not the case. The one piece FSB/muzzle brake has two pin holes on the bottom where it's supposed to be pinned on, when in fact, it's welded on. The FCG didn't have any markings on it. The buttstock and pistol grip were still unlike any ones I've seen. They seemed to be made out of a different, shinier plastic. The back of the buttstock has a flat buttplate, with no hole. The receiver was painted with some kind of durable coating. I don't think it was spray paint, but if it was, it looked nice. The bullet guide looks like it has been professionally welded in place. The rear sight only had adjustments to 300 meters I believe. It was made in 1999, with EAA markings. Overall finish is 85%, and all in all, not a bad looking rifle. I'm honestly not sure it's 922 legal. They're asking $499. The pic quality is sub par, but better than none.

Note the shiny pistol grip, nylon hole plugs

Photo2371.jpg

Photo2373.jpg

Pin holes are empty, note the welds. I think the whole FSB is from a different AK all together.

Photo2370.jpg

Photo2375.jpg

Blurry, but there's the bullet guide and sight

Photo2376.jpg

In hindsight, I think it's been converted by a shop, or someone who knew what they were doing. I'm not sure about the 922 thing though...

Edited by jmzzl

Fake brake...

Has all the extra Saiga holes in the receiver.

Just a home job where someone riveted or welded the bullet guide in place, grinded it down, and refinished.

They removed the Saiga mag catch and riveted in a mag catch/trigger guard but it looks like a kit where they used the wrong pin.

The mag catch is supposed to be held in place by a pin thats peen'ed in. That looks like a rivet.

K-var sells virgin mag catch/trigger assemblies that don't come with the lever,spring, pin, or pin hole even drilled. Maybe it's one of those.

$500 is OK. If it were dumped in my lap it'd get a decent amount of work. Get rid of that stupid brake, properly install a FSB(with pins...), weld up all the extra holes, triple check fit and function of mag catch and common mags, Tapco G2, lower HG retainer, list goes on.

I'd rather get a brand new IZ-132 for cheaper.

Thanks for going back and taking pics.