How does weight compare between steel case 7.62x39 and brass 223?

I tried to find this through the SEARCH option but couldn't find an answer...

My gun to grab if TSHTF is a Benelli Nova Tactical. I can easily carry 4 bandoliers of 50 rounds each... and I have a penchant for "buck and ball" 12 gauge ammo, so my range is actually around 100 yards with a pump shotgun (but obviously within 40 yards my damage yield is much higher.) I am using Paraklese Superbuck and ball... a .58 slug and 9 00 buckshot in each shell. I also have specially made 0000 3 1/2 inch buck rounds that are amazing.

I'm a big guy so I can carry a second long gun without it being much of a burden... and I value the ability of shooting out to 300+ yards. I have Saiga 7.62x39 and Saiga 308. I also have a ruger Mini 14.

If I had my "best of all possible worlds" I'd have folding stocks on each of the rifles... unfortunately that won't be possible until I move to florida... but then... I can add folders.

If I was carrying a Saiga 7.62x39 as my back up rifle... how would the weight of the ammo compare to 223? All of the data comparisons I am finding are on brass versus brass... and my Saiga loves to chew and spit Silver Bear soft points... so if i went with the Saiga I'd be carrying Silver Bear SPs. If I carry the Ruger it'd be brass... probably 55 grain... but maybe 5.56 steel core 62 grain.

Does anyone know what the weight difference is between steel case 7.62x39 versus brass 223/5.56?

I've lugged through many two or so week hikes in deep woods where every ounce on your back needed to be calculated. This issue may even put me in the situation where depending on what was happening... basically TEOTWAWKI and my needing to make a long trek... I might opt out of carrying my much loved Benelli and go with ONLY a single long gun... either the Saiga 7.62x39 or the saiga 308.

But, if ammo weight is light enough... a second long gun could be viable... and if so I've got to go with the lightest rifle/ammo combo.

Does anyone know which wins in the weight contest.. a Saiga... and say apx 200 rounds of steel case 7.62x39... or a ruger Mini 14 and apx 200 rounds of 5.56/223?

Also, are there any web pages that show what a soldier or hunter can realistically carry if they are going to be "in the bush" for a month or more at a time? I had a buddy who was in Vietnam... and he told me he carried 3 bandoliers of 5 30 round mags... and an additional 100 rounds of cased ammo.

I'm not stupid. I know it may be smarter to opt of a single gun and carry more ammo... but I would like to keep my options open.

Edited by sofageorge

200 rounds of steel-cased 7.62x39 122 grain weighs 7.22 lbs. (1000 rounds = 36.15 lbs)

200 rounds of brass-cased .223 55 grain weighs 5.02 lbs. (1000 rounds = 25.13 lbs)

200 rounds of 2 3/4 12 ga 00 bk weighs 19.18 lbs. (1000 rounds = 95.90 lbs)

200 rounds of 7.62x51 146 grain weighs 10.86 lbs. (1000 rounds = 54.30 lbs)

The figures for the 7.62x51 was supplied to me by someone else so I can't guarantee it's accuracy but it seems right to me. The other calibers I personally weighed so they are accurate. The difference between the 7.62x39 and .223 is about 2 lbs. The figures kind of screw up the idea of carrying around thousands of rounds on foot.

Realistically what you could carry depends on your own conditioning. In Iraq I was carrying 13 mags with 28 rounds of 5.56 in each. That was along with an IBAS, SAPI plates, helmet, radio, frags, stun grenades, Camelbak, M4 with PAQ2, M68, and Surefire. I easily had over 100 pounds of gear, and it will definitely take its toll on you. If I had to pick one weapon, it would be my AR15. Load up with hollowpoints and you're good up close and out to 500m. It's a personal preference, but its a lot more flexible than a shotgun.

• Like 1

Realistically what you could carry depends on your own conditioning. In Iraq I was carrying 13 mags with 28 rounds of 5.56 in each. That was along with an IBAS, SAPI plates, helmet, radio, frags, stun grenades, Camelbak, M4 with PAQ2, M68, and Surefire. I easily had over 100 pounds of gear, and it will definitely take its toll on you. If I had to pick one weapon, it would be my AR15. Load up with hollowpoints and you're good up close and out to 500m. It's a personal preference, but its a lot more flexible than a shotgun.

Excellent :super: