7.62x39 vs 5.45 vs 223?

ok i really want to get a saiga and convert it but im not sure which caliber i want yet.....i plan on using it primarily for target shooting and home defense/SHTF, but maybe hog/deer hunting a couple times a year but if not i have other rifles i can use for that. i might help me if i knew how much more accurate the 5.45 or 5.56 is compared to the 7.62...and i heard that u can snap a ak-74 mag right into the saiga 5.45 without mods, is that true? do u have to have a bullet guide or anything? if theres no mods needed then that would be a plus for the 5.45

7.62x39. When I got my Saiga rifle I asked the same question (without the .223 option) and figured that the 7.62 was the best to get first since a lot of states that allow rifle deer hunting also have minimum caliber restrictions. The 7.62 is OK while the 5.45 is not.

I like the 5.45 cartridge a lot more than the 7.62.

Both work, and both work well. If you want to use it for hogs and all that, 7.62 is also what I would recommend though.

the only thing 5.45 has over 7.62x39 is price and weight

with 5.45 you can get surplus round pretty cheap and shoot a hell of alot more often but wont be very good for deer or hogs especially hogs you want to make sure them suckers are dead cause they will tear you up with them tusk's.

Modern 7.62x39 rounds have shown to do much more damage to flesh then the 5.45 rounds so would be good for both home protection and hunting

7.62 all the way

the only thing 5.45 has over 7.62x39 is price and weight

Lower price = More practice, more skill. I think you will also find women shooters more comfortable with the 5.45 than the 7.62x39, if one needs to share the gun with them.

with 5.45 you can get surplus round pretty cheap and shoot a hell of alot more often but wont be very good for deer or hogs especially hogs you want to make sure them suckers are dead cause they will tear you up with them tusk's.

5.45 will do fine with deer or hogs, but may not be legal in some states to use for those applications.

Modern 7.62x39 rounds have shown to do much more damage to flesh then the 5.45 rounds so would be good for both home protection and hunting

I wouldn't be comfortable with 7.62x39 for home defense, due to its penetrative power. Also, it may do more damage, but the 5.45 will allow you to put more rounds on target more quickly.

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • Like 1

I've got both a 5.45 and 7.62. I honestly wouldn't be able to decide between them. I just love them both. But, for what you want it for, I'd go with the 5.45. It's more accurate than the 7.62 and would fit the bill better for target shooting, and still be an effective SHTF/HD gun. Ammo's dirt cheap, too. Just doesn't have the shear knock-down force of the 7.62, though. 5.45 isn't always as available as 7.62, either.

FWIW, it's not hard at all to get the 7.62 to accept mil-surp mags, so I wouldn't even make that a factor in your decision.

Ever see a 5.45 wound on a hog? They're pretty well FUBAR'd. Someone on another AK board has a log of deer he's taken with the 5.45 without issues.

Edited by W8lifter