Whoo Hooo..first real "test" at the range

Successful first "real" test at the range today, post conversion.

Prior to today, I had only been shooting slugs through the Saiga 12. No problems. Pre-conversion, post-conversion. A-OK.

I hadn't shot birdshot or anything, mostly because I thought this gun was made for slugs, so why would I want to shoot anything else. I guess I still pretty much feel that way, except that:

1. Slugs are kinda expensive, and

2. My local indoor range doesn't want people shooting slugs there.

So, with my conversion a month or so in the past, and a couple new AGP mags in hand (plus a drum at home, not yet tested), I bought up some cheap ammo at W-mart. Got a bulk Federal pack (1 1/8 oz, 7 1/2 load) and some Remington "nitro" stuff, I think the same specs ( 1 1/8 oz, 7.5) , just a little bit pricier than the Federal. (ARE THESE GOOD CHOICES FOR BIRDSHOT TO BUY??? ) . I'm new to shotguns, so no idea what kind of ammo to get, but these seemed to be what ya'll are talking about.

Anyway, I only brought the remington stuff to the range by mistake (but it is pretty similar to the federal, right?). I had two AGP 10 rounders loaded. First three shots perfect, then 5 FTE's. The shell would just be stuck halfway sticking out. Then I realized (DUH....) that I had forgotten to turn the gas setting from 1 to 2. That explains the FTE's. I made the change, and shot the next 20 perfectly.

I know that isn't a super test, but it is pretty encouraging in terms of having adequate gas pressure. If it was ALMOST able to work on the 1 setting, and totally able to work on the 2 setting, that means I'm getting plenty of gas pressure, right? Do i need to worry about getting too much? Or does this sound just right?

Assuming my Federals shoot just fine (on 2), should I just relax, stop thinking about gas issues, and celebrate, or is any more research, mods needed? (i.e. the more sensitive plug with five settings, I guess, to fine tune it)...

ANYWAY, happy in any case, because from this preliminary test, looking good....(please let me know if I'm reading it right...thanks...)

Cheers..

(P.S. My Saiga has 06/ 30 / 09 on the certificate, and I purchased from K-Var in late Jan this year. )

Successful first "real" test at the range today, post conversion.

Prior to today, I had only been shooting slugs through the Saiga 12. No problems. Pre-conversion, post-conversion. A-OK.

I hadn't shot birdshot or anything, mostly because I thought this gun was made for slugs, so why would I want to shoot anything else. I guess I still pretty much feel that way, except that:

1. Slugs are kinda expensive, and

2. My local indoor range doesn't want people shooting slugs there.

So, with my conversion a month or so in the past, and a couple new AGP mags in hand (plus a drum at home, not yet tested), I bought up some cheap ammo at W-mart. Got a bulk Federal pack (1 1/8 oz, 7 1/2 load) and some Remington "nitro" stuff, I think the same specs ( 1 1/8 oz, 7.5) , just a little bit pricier than the Federal. (ARE THESE GOOD CHOICES FOR BIRDSHOT TO BUY??? ) . I'm new to shotguns, so no idea what kind of ammo to get, but these seemed to be what ya'll are talking about.

Anyway, I only brought the remington stuff to the range by mistake (but it is pretty similar to the federal, right?). I had two AGP 10 rounders loaded. First three shots perfect, then 5 FTE's. The shell would just be stuck halfway sticking out. Then I realized (DUH....) that I had forgotten to turn the gas setting from 1 to 2. That explains the FTE's. I made the change, and shot the next 20 perfectly.

I know that isn't a super test, but it is pretty encouraging in terms of having adequate gas pressure. If it was ALMOST able to work on the 1 setting, and totally able to work on the 2 setting, that means I'm getting plenty of gas pressure, right? Do i need to worry about getting too much? Or does this sound just right?

Assuming my Federals shoot just fine (on 2), should I just relax, stop thinking about gas issues, and celebrate, or is any more research, mods needed? (i.e. the more sensitive plug with five settings, I guess, to fine tune it)...

ANYWAY, happy in any case, because from this preliminary test, looking good....(please let me know if I'm reading it right...thanks...)

Cheers..

(P.S. My Saiga has 06/ 30 / 09 on the certificate, and I purchased from K-Var in late Jan this year. )

You are good. Yes the Federal is a good choice for birdshot.

""should I just relax, stop thinking about gas issues, and celebrate,""

Yes

Edited by King of the Hill

That's great!

If your doing fine with the Federal, the Nitro won't be an issue due to the higher 1300 fps. I've shot both.

Now try the cheap winchester out... options are great to ease the cost.

Question for ya?

How many slug rounds have you shot thru your gun prior to your test?

From what I have been reading high brass rounds help for a quicker break in, rather than modifing ports and other crap... (I did my ports)

I wonder if kvar did some quality checks and tweeking prior to selling.

Regardless you must be pretty happy. Have fun

I know this is cliche now, but stay far away from the Winchester universal bulk packs. Many of the shells are defective and lead people to believe that their gun is not quite perfect yet, just don't wast your time or money testing your gun with them. If I am forced to get it because everything else is sold out, I go through every box shell by shell picking out the defective rounds, then it's fine.

Call off the celebration...

I went back to try out my Federal bulk ammo, and almost all were FTE. I only had my drum and AGP mags (didn't bring the factory mag).

HMMMMM....Seems odd that it'd fire the WInchester nitro cheapos but not the Federal. I realize the nitros are a little more powerful than the Feds, but thought most saiga's "like" Federal.

I didn't clean the gun since shooting two days ago, but didn't shoot that much.

Sooooo...Next steps:

1. test the win nitro's again, to see if they still shoot well on the 2 setting.

2, Give the gun a good cleaning. Anything in particular I should make sure to do?

3 Not sure. I guess inspect the gas ports to try to see what I'm working with.

4. Shoot more slugs??

What is the suggested route? Darn it, thought I was lucky.

Call off the celebration...

I went back to try out my Federal bulk ammo, and almost all were FTE. I only had my drum and AGP mags (didn't bring the factory mag).

HMMMMM....Seems odd that it'd fire the WInchester nitro cheapos but not the Federal. I realize the nitros are a little more powerful than the Feds, but thought most saiga's "like" Federal.

I didn't clean the gun since shooting two days ago, but didn't shoot that much.

Sooooo...Next steps:

1. test the win nitro's again, to see if they still shoot well on the 2 setting.

2, Give the gun a good cleaning. Anything in particular I should make sure to do?

3 Not sure. I guess inspect the gas ports to try to see what I'm working with.

4. Shoot more slugs??

What is the suggested route? Darn it, thought I was lucky.

The Nitros have a higher fps 1300 the Federal bulk along with the winchester bulk is like 1200.

Untill you break it in or enlarge the ports (3 port to 3/32 not saying that is the solution) but it worked for me.

I did a thread on it.

Good luck

Inspection (finally) reveals what I didn't want to see: I can only see on exposed gas port hole! Grumble.

I poked around with a paperclip. It may have been partially obstructed. Poked through after a little fumbling.

Question - should I just go ahead and pull it all apart and do the gas port mod? Or should I have some patience and see if I can make it work as-is? (i.e. more slug shooting, maybe polishing the bolt, etc) . I was encouraged by it firing the remington nitros flawlessly. I would like it to be able to fire the cheap federal someday at least. What cha'll think? Is that simply not going to happen with just one exposed port hole?

Thanks!!

Are you saying that you can only see one hole or that you only have one hole unobstructed? Using the paperclip did you find other holes out of sight or is there definitly only one hole you can get the paperclip through.

Inspection (finally) reveals what I didn't want to see: I can only see on exposed gas port hole! Grumble.

I poked around with a paperclip. It may have been partially obstructed. Poked through after a little fumbling.

Question - should I just go ahead and pull it all apart and do the gas port mod? Or should I have some patience and see if I can make it work as-is? (i.e. more slug shooting, maybe polishing the bolt, etc) . I was encouraged by it firing the remington nitros flawlessly. I would like it to be able to fire the cheap federal someday at least. What cha'll think? Is that simply not going to happen with just one exposed port hole?

Thanks!!

What do you think you should do?

How much does it cost to shoot slugs?

How much does it cost to shoot the Nitros compared to the Federal?

It doesn't cost anything to do the port job?

Even if you do the port it won't effect future use.

Buy a brass rod to knock the GB off after you knock out the 2 pins. Mine came off real easy.. Others have had trouble. If anything spray it with some PB oil let it soak then do the job. I used my hand drill along with the some cutting oil to do the drill out.

Have fun

Stop analyzing it, pull the gas block, and do the port work. Drill at the correct angle and flare the part of the gas block that meets the barrel where the ports are. This is a fairly simple procedure and if you have decent hand skills, Dewalt Cobalt bits, and a good eye, you can do it. Post some video of the thing running on "low brass" when you get an opportunity.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

yeah, sounds like a situation to adopt the Nike slogan "Just Do it."

I guess i just needed a push in that direction. i'm a risk-taker, but I dont' like to jump into things that i'm not really familiar with. At least not without at least a little research and a few moments of thinking.

I figure do it - why have a shotgun unable to do as many things as it is capable of? And yeah, might as well be able to shoot the cheap stuff.

Just need a drill bit or two...I'll get on it. Hopefully, smooth sailing.

Thanks!

-Another darn newbie...

Are you saying that you can only see one hole or that you only have one hole unobstructed? Using the paperclip did you find other holes out of sight or is there definitly only one hole you can get the paperclip through.

Here is my one port visible Saiga, works like a charm. If you actually only have one port ,drill for sure. Have you checked if you have other ports not visible?

post-19600-0-64299500-1302383881_thumb.jpg

post-19600-0-78929500-1302383902_thumb.jpg

I know this is cliche now, but stay far away from the Winchester universal bulk packs. Many of the shells are defective and lead people to believe that their gun is not quite perfect yet, just don't wast your time or money testing your gun with them. If I am forced to get it because everything else is sold out, I go through every box shell by shell picking out the defective rounds, then it's fine.

Major +1 on that. It really isn't a test of reliability to be able to run winchester universal, IMO.

About every 4-5 shots I would get one that was ultra light loaded to the point it almost sounded like a squib.

Not drilling my ports to run defective ammo when I can run federal bulk to 3" magnum buck with virtually the same amount of recoil using the auto plug and booster puck.

Edited by Tombs
  • Like 1

Major +1 on that. It really isn't a test of reliability to be able to run winchester universal, IMO.

About every 4-5 shots I would get one that was ultra light loaded to the point it almost sounded like a squib.

Not drilling my ports to run defective ammo when I can run federal bulk to 3" magnum buck with virtually the same amount of recoil using the auto plug and booster puck.

Here is a pic of one of the defects I find often.

post-19600-0-05923000-1302385060_thumb.jpg

Thanks!!

Here is the thing. I had the same thing happen to me. I could only see one port. I sent it back to Cadiz. Took my 43 days to get it back. The gunsmith was sick for two weeks though, so they might be getting them out faster now.

Cadiz fixed the issue. I can, clearly, see all three ports. It fired 200 rounds of bulk pack at the range today with zero....zero hiccups. I also have the V plug, but that won't help if you only have one port I'm told.

SO, you can send it off to be fixed correctly and be without for....a period of time. OR, you can try it do the work yourself. The only reason I didn't remove the glass block and file the hole myself is because I don't have the proper tools where I'm staying at now. It isn't a hard job.

So, really, it's up to you.

Here is a pic of one of the defects I find often.

Holy shit King, is that for real? WOW......

Did the job last night. Took it all apart, enlarged the hole in the gas block so now all three holes are fully exposed. It really is a pretty sight to look in there and see three holes just like you're supposed to!

There had been only one hole fully exposed, and a fraction of a second one. All three holes seemed to be originally in the 0.70 range, so I did choose to enlarge them to 3/32 ( 0.09375) . I did drill at approx the original angle (of course!).

Overall, I went slow, took my time, and learned things about how my gun works. I know people have posted on here about doing it in half an hour, but for me - with a bit of stopping and starting - it was closer to three hours. Everything went smooth, but the block was on there TIGHT. Getting the pins back in there went smoother than expected.

Now I'm super antsy to test it out at the range with the bulk Federal. Couldn't make it today...hopefully tomorrow. Will report in!

Range Report (from this evening, about an hour ago):

I only brought federal bulk ammo (birdshot, 1 1/8 oz, 7 1/2 shot). Prior to expanding the hole in the Gas Block and drilling the holes to 3/32 the Federal was FTE almost every single time.

I went through two mags with the AGP (capacity 10, but I only had nine in each) and went through a whole MD drum worth. Not a single FTE !!

Success....

I'll try to get some pix of the finished gun up in the next couple days....

Cheers!

Range Report (from this evening, about an hour ago):

I only brought federal bulk ammo (birdshot, 1 1/8 oz, 7 1/2 shot). Prior to expanding the hole in the Gas Block and drilling the holes to 3/32 the Federal was FTE almost every single time.

I went through two mags with the AGP (capacity 10, but I only had nine in each) and went through a whole MD drum worth. Not a single FTE !!

Success....

I'll try to get some pix of the finished gun up in the next couple days....

Cheers!

Dude Thats Great!! Enjoy !!