The way we use them was to catch and hold the (wild) hogs once the "find" dogs had them located and stopped. We hold the catch dogs back until we get as close as possible then go in right after them to kill the hog. I have always used a knife, some people catch and tie.

Same way you would a squealing struggling dog.

I got my little girl from a guy who was breeding them to fight. (I had to resist knocking his teethout when he told me that). But she was aggressive with other dogs when I got her. But with one helluv a lot of training she's listening flawlessly. (unless she has a toy). But for Sierra (my pit) all I say is "drop!" and she listens.

• Like 2

How in the hell do you safely get a Pit Bull that's in "drive" off a squealing, struggling pig? Serious question, as I think that is something the OP should be comfortable with and know how to do.

You stick a finger in its ass.

Even when pits were used in dog fights, aggression to their handlers wasnt tolerated. In hog hunting they have a fairly simple job, go to the barking dog and catch whats there regardless of size or how mad it is. Since we killed mostly all hogs, getting the catch dogs off isnt an issue, as they let go as soon as the hog stops struggling. A poorly behaved dog doesnt make too many hunts. Any dog regardless of the breed is only as good as what their owner makes them.

Wish there were more hogs around here, My pit would make a helluva "hog dog" but there really isnt any hogs "to speak of" here!

Dont know of any other kind of hunting he would really shine at. Im sure they can be trained to hunt anything but hog huntin just seems like a natural fit for pitbulls.

Oh well I geuss in another 10-20 years they'll be taking over here too!!