Question on possibly weldng a magwell

I have a lifetimes supply of promags, and have let go of a couple of drums because of the laws in my state. Id honestly rather have the solid steel magwell made for SGM mags (not theirs, but the ones sold CSS for their mags). Im about to send one off to have it converted, with a welded tromix handle, and sandblasted/refinished. It occurred to me that maybe I should just have the magwell welded on, after it has been tapped and screwed. Like I said, I have a liftimes supply of promags, and dont mind committing.

Any thoughts from people who have them, or other welders/gunsmiths? If you want to talk smack against magwells in general, post it somewhere else. Thanks in advance.

Edited by paintwagon

They are aluminum, not steel. No welding.

Wait, so you can't weld aluminum now?

Im no welder, but aluminum requires a different setup (mig/tig, whatever, not sure). I didnt even consider it was aluminum to steel. Seems like its too much trouble. I thought it was a good idea to have it welded to make it a solid part of the receiver, and refinished.

Question answered, Thank you.

Edited by paintwagon

They are aluminum, not steel. No welding.

Wait, so you can't weld aluminum now?

You cannot weld aluminum (mag well) to steel (receiver). I doubt brazing would be strong enough with the minimal surface area contact on the bottom of the receiver. Just drill and tap and use red loctite. Or if you feel the need to weld, tack the screwheads

You can't weld it, but if you want it to look better you can break out the grinder and the JB Weld. That's what I did, and my JTE Magwell looks much more... natural now. You can check it out in the picture thread. Here. It was pretty straight forward, but if you want details you can PM me.

Weld387 is correct. now if a steel magwell was made it could be done but there is really no need we are talking about affixing a magazine well to a Saiga 12 just use the machine screws that come with it and some locktight or maybe through bolt it. And your ready for action. Also you have the option of going back to rock and lock.