Are there any particular indications to look for that might suggest my saiga has a threaded barrel.

Yes...when you look at it's description and it will say "threaded barrell"...lol Or if you call the people who you have converting it and say "I want a threaded barrell" I think that'll cover it...jk

Also concluded that there is no set formula to assure a threaded barrel except as I said remove the FSB and have it threaded, this is the only way to know for sure anyway if it is threaded.

well I checked and the barrel has no chamber step so hopefuly this will give me a better chance of it being threaded, if not off to the gunsmith. I had also checked it and it seems to be mil spec reciever because of the markings and the dimples on the reciever so maybe I will get lucky.

If you could take a good, clear, crisp picture looking directly at the muzzle and post it for us, it might be possible to tell. I could see the threads beneath the shroud on mine while looking at it. Then again, you may not be able to tell that way, either. Just a thought.

I do not have a camera at the moment to get a clear picture, but with looking at it under my headlamp and a magnifying glass I can see a small ridges around the edge of the barrel. If I can I will use my buddies nikon and post pics tommorow.

They are in the standard 14x1 threads. You don't need a gunsmith to cut back the FSB, you need a pipe cutter and patience. Mark off how far the threads are on the break/flash supp. and cut off that much. If you don't find yourself the patient type, and you've got the money, go with the gunsmith. If you don't have a threaded barrel, you can find the threading kits online at some of our sponsor pages. Hope this helped!

They are in the standard 14x1 threads. You don't need a gunsmith to cut back the FSB, you need a pipe cutter and patience. Mark off how far the threads are on the break/flash supp. and cut off that much. If you don't find yourself the patient type, and you've got the money, go with the gunsmith. If you don't have a threaded barrel, you can find the threading kits online at some of our sponsor pages. Hope this helped!

The whole idea was to preserve the original FSB and just move it back, I haverare 2008 Saiga-M2 with long barrel and the FSB is flush with the end of the barrel - nothing to cut. That said, we took off the FSB, no threads, so I bought AK-74 FSB and muzzle break, also bought bullet guide and tapco piston.

based on 922r calculator I found here, I will be compliant with US stock, piston, foreend, mags, US made FSB and muzzle brake, wont I?

Edited by Samal

The whole idea was to preserve the original FSB and just move it back, I haverare 2008 Saiga-M2 with long barrel and the FSB is flush with the end of the barrel - nothing to cut. That said, we took off the FSB, no threads, so I bought AK-74 FSB and muzzle break, also bought bullet guide and tapco piston.

based on 922r calculator I found here, I will be compliant with US stock, piston, foreend, mags, US made FSB and muzzle brake, wont I?

Dinzang has a nice 922r checklist on his page. http://www.dinzagarms.com/922r/922r.html

You need to replace 4 parts on the stock rifles- adding a pistol grip makes 5 and a threaded muzzle makes 6. The easiest replacements are trigger (3 parts), stock, forearm/hand guard, and magazine (3 parts). You listed 7 replacements, which is more than legal :super:

Edited by Salmonking