Do Arsenal Saigas SGL-21 guns qualify?

So I picked up a new Arsenal Saiga SGL-21 yesterday afternoon. Do they qualify for this area of the forum? I know that the original sporting guns and conversions used to but now sure about the new Arsenal imported stuff. Anyway, looks like a well built gun, only came with a 5 round magazine but that is OK, I have tons of others. Right now am using a USPALM mag as those have been very satisfactory for me. I have not fired it yet and I have one concern, the muzzle brake is a bit wobbly even screwed all the way down. Is this a problem I should take up with the manufacturer or is this normal? I am not very familiar with those 24mm threaded AK-74 type brakes for a 7.62x39 gun. Anyway, I am back after a hiatus and own a Saiga or at least IzMash made rifle again, having sold my Siaga 308-1 conversion for a healthy profit just around the last election time.

Is it a Saiga? Check

Is it chambered in 7.62x39? Check

then yes.. it belongs here.. ;)

further.. a big chunk of metal that has to line up perfectly to allow a projectile to fly through.. should not IMO be wobbly in any way.. wobbly? is it seriously like wobbly?

Edited by vladtepes

mine has slight movement but i wouldnt go as far as saying its wobble and plus one you shoot it a few time it will be do dirty it wont want to move haha

I was thinking maybe I was losing something int he choice of words.. and maybe he doesnt mean wobbly as I picture it.. lol

By wobbly I mean that is does not screw on tight and has a very mild jiggle. I know that bullets hitting a brake are B-A-D, had a badly mounted AMD-65 brake on my AMD-65 build that I had to return to the smith for correction as they the last guy did a piss poor job of it. It is a little slop but not sure if it will cause the path of the projectile into coincidence with the bullet tunnel. Guess I can push a cleaning rod rod down the bore and see. Are the openings in the muzzle brake over sized compared to the bore?

Assuming that you've tightened the brake down as much as possible, (while still allowing the retaining pin to engage), then yes, the very slight "wobble" you mention is entirely normal to the brake design, (whether 5.45 or 7.62), and won't negatively affect anything.

I have 3 Legion Saiga 7.62x39 rifles. You're most definitely in the right forum. :)

By wobbly I mean that is does not screw on tight and has a very mild jiggle. I know that bullets hitting a brake are B-A-D, had a badly mounted AMD-65 brake on my AMD-65 build that I had to return to the smith for correction as they the last guy did a piss poor job of it. It is a little slop but not sure if it will cause the path of the projectile into coincidence with the bullet tunnel. Guess I can push a cleaning rod rod down the bore and see. Are the openings in the muzzle brake over sized compared to the bore?

fair enough.. when you said wobble I was envisioning you looking for your brake downrange.. lol

Thanks all. I will go test fire it this afternoon if the weather holds. Right now it is cool with mild sun burning through the marine cloud haze. Not sure what it is doing in the mountains where the range is yet. I figure I will go and see if the sights are set OK, the test target looked good but you never know. Will take a few other mags with me too to test compatibility. Hope to have a range report soon. BTW, I no longer post photos, so don't ask.

oh goodness, P-A found a topic to his liking. :P hey P-A, did you see the article in the new guns & ammo ak-47 mag on the sgl 21?

Nope, I haven't seen that. Is it available online?

i dont know if they have the article online, but i think they magazine is availible for purchase online. i found it at kroger last month.

So I picked up a new Arsenal Saiga SGL-21 yesterday afternoon. Do they qualify for this area of the forum? I know that the original sporting guns and conversions used to but now sure about the new Arsenal imported stuff. Anyway, looks like a well built gun, only came with a 5 round magazine but that is OK, I have tons of others. Right now am using a USPALM mag as those have been very satisfactory for me. I have not fired it yet and I have one concern, the muzzle brake is a bit wobbly even screwed all the way down. Is this a problem I should take up with the manufacturer or is this normal? I am not very familiar with those 24mm threaded AK-74 type brakes for a 7.62x39 gun. Anyway, I am back after a hiatus and own a Saiga or at least IzMash made rifle again, having sold my Siaga 308-1 conversion for a healthy profit just around the last election time.

maby a wrap or 2 of teflon tape might take the wobble out just an idea

maby a wrap or 2 of teflon tape might take the wobble out just an idea

That's not necessary. Anyone who knows '74-type brakes knows that the very slight "wiggle" the OP mentions is entirely normal.

OK, managed to get some trigger time today after all. Made sure I ran some CLP and boresnake through it first and lubed the bolt group and rails with some automotive bearing grease. It was mixed hazy/sunny sky with some clouds and a temp in the high 40s to mid 50s when I got to the range around 14:30 local. I had two other guns with me as I wanted to play with some accessories I recently mounted on them.

First of all, the slight wiggle did not affect things at all, I was worried needlessly. The rifle shot 100 percent and works with US PALM and ProMag AK mags with 100% reliability. Ammo used was some 123 gr FMJ Barnaul Silver Bear I had lying around and then Wolf 122gr JHP lacquer coated. I used a 50 yard sight in so as to get basic on paper BSZ. The sights shot a bit left for me but centered out easy enough with my handy sight adjustment tool. Took some shots at a steel man silhouette out at 200 yards and was doing a pretty good job of banging it if I took my time on the trigger. The Arsenal two stage trigger sucks rock, crunchy and heavy let off after a light first stage. I think my first mods will be a TAPCO M249 pistol grip and a TAPCO trigger set, probably two hook as the receiver should be easy to mod. Maybe an UltiMak mount and a Vortex Spark red dot to finish it off.

Groups were not impressive, probably around 2" at 50 yards off of cement bench and sand bags (Still it was a lot better then my SIG 556 Classic can do with or without a scope, do not waste time and money on SIG 556). Could have been my not being used to the trigger. Still, it would ruin your day at 100 yards and make you hug the ground at 200. Recoil was a a lot milder then the WASR 10 with slant break I used to own. Post range clean up was the standard simplicity by itself, but at least I did not use a knotted rope and diesel fuel. I will have to take the gun by itself next time and spend quality time instead of juggling three guns in one afternoon like I did today. I should try it with a scope too if I can get one mounted. Altogether I am satisfied for the time being and will work on wringing more accuracy out it.