Folding unit

As my research has told me, the "BEST" folding mechinism is the AK-100 series folding stock. It's also expensive and difficult. It needs several cuts in the receiver at the rear trunnion, and some cuts near the front for the catch to lock up when folded. Those parts are also rare and expensive. The up side is that if you want a REALLY expensive stock, you can put on an SVD-S stock and that's pretty bad ass.

Do you really want "BEST"? Most people don't go anywhere near that amount of trouble. Which is why ACE parts are so common.

lewie212: I'd recommend one of the ACE folding mechanisms, either the push-button or the standard. While the push-button is easier to fold and unfold, it has a little bit of wiggle when in the locked position, unless you adjust it to compensate, (which you can do). The standard hinge doesn't fold as easily, but locks up with no play without any adjustment.

What is the easiest way to check my local gun laws? I'm from indiana if that helps. Thanks again.

Double check your local laws as well. In Michigan, for instance, you need to add 1 inch to the OAL to keep her over 30" folded. I used a "Pig Nose" adapter and an AR type stock to get mine where it needed to be. Jumping through the hoops is important, sadly.

http://www.in.gov/isp/files/firearms_FAQ_02_08.pdf

If it isn't creating a pistol in the eyes of your state... you would have to go below 26" from what I can tell.. you should be fine. BUT ASK A REPUTABLE GUNSMITH OR TWO FIRST!!! I wasn't sure where you were at, and it is a possibility of becoming an unintentional felon (this way) in a couple states.

CYA

Thanks for the info.

http://www.in.gov/isp/files/firearms_FAQ_02_08.pdf

If it isn't creating a pistol in the eyes of your state... you would have to go below 26" from what I can tell.. you should be fine. BUT ASK A REPUTABLE GUNSMITH OR TWO FIRST!!! I wasn't sure where you were at, and it is a possibility of becoming an unintentional felon (this way) in a couple states.

CYA