I got this closet in the back of our house that I use to store spare firearm accessories/mags, etc.(no guns) At the top right hand of the closet it this lil nugget.....

elc001.jpg

sorry for the mess, my workshop ;D

What is this?? Anybody know?? When my wife or one of my girls starts up anything in the dining room outlet,or the bathroom for that matter this thing makes a buzzing/vibrating noise. We've lived at this house for the last 10 years and it's done that the entire time until recently when it starting making the noise without anything being turned on in the aforementioned rooms.

Any ideas?? And is this a problem.

Thanx!!!

Edited by Bean.223

looks like an old doorbell transformer and it might make noise if the wiring feeding the transformer is also the same wiring going threw the den

Edited by bigcec1
  • Like 2

Looks like typical stuff you find in an older house.

I pull stuff like that out whenever I can if it serves no purpose.

Put some wire nuts on the wires to make them safe, and use a blank plate to cover the hole.

Not good if it's just making noise by itself. It's using power that you are paying for, and it's potentially a safety problem. Get rid of it or consult an electrician if you are not able to make electrical repairs.

Edited by Spartacus

Just my two cents. I would put a tester(multimeter) on it. see if there is power. find the breaker for it turn it off. unwire put wire nuts on the ends. turn back on.see if there is any change. should not be. the wiring is old snake skin from around the 60's if nothing

else buzzing and vibrating will stop. that is enough for me to unwire. also if you attempt undo the nail that hold it to the wallsee if it goes anywhere. should be low voltage on the other side. like for a door bell or and extended phone bell that was meant to wake the dead.

Edited by TacSat

I am assuming it's an abandonded door bell transformer.. If so,

They are usually 120v, if it's a sixties type. Disconnect one wire at a time and screw on a red or tan wire nut. Then tape over the wire nuts so they don't come off.

If you don't know if it's abandoned and you have access to a multi meter, Put one lead of the meter on one wire and the other lead on the other wire. If you get a voltage reading, it's still hot. If you disconnect one of the wires and the door bell doesn't work, It's still in use.

This type of cloth covering was common in the 60's. Sometimes the covering was asbestos impregnated. Becareful.

Looks like the connector module to an old flux capacitor unit used in DeLorean-based time machines. Either way, the best way to figure out what an electrical part is, is to start cutting wires and touching them to metal things and/or your tongue.

Disclaimer: I know not a damn thing about electricity. The advice above is purely fictional and should not be followed.

:haha:

• Like 2

Low voltage transformer. Either door bell or furnace controls. Remove one wire from the screw (the voltage on the exposed screws is probably 18 V, but is definitely less than 24v). Then try the door bell and furnace controls. If either quit working, put the wire back and leave it alone, this is not any problem that needs to be addressed. The same type Xformer is still commonly in use today is quite safe.

Low voltage transformer. Either door bell or furnace controls. Remove one wire from the screw (the voltage on the exposed screws is probably 18 V, but is definitely less than 24v). Then try the door bell and furnace controls. If either quit working, put the wire back and leave it alone, this is not any problem that needs to be addressed. The same type Xformer is still commonly in use today is quite safe.

Thanx guys, I'll test her out asap!!