Mounting Tech-Sight (Not the AK Vesion) on a Saiga

I have mounted on a S308 a Tech-Sight Marlin rear aperture sight using a modified Beryl Style Scope Mount from DPH.

It works beautifully and frankly solves all the issues I had with all other available options. It entails grinding and shaping with grinder(not required), dremel (also optional), and good set of files. I also modified the fastener for the beryl to allow removal sans tools. The result allows attaching the rear sight exactly as designed and works great. Sight pic is excellent and holding zero is no problem at all.

The sight itself is well made and suitable to be mounted on a military weapon.I could have used less expensive, or more expensive, for the project but this fits the bill well. Part of my test was to mount a lighter optic, Truglo, on the rifle using the mount and it performed as well as the sight.

Some people have remarked on it and one guy wishes me to make one for his Saiga. Is there any interest in the process?

If so I will use part of what he was going to pay me to get my camera up and running to provide pics and of the steps involved.

If not I will spend the money on ammo :)

Edited by Rhodes1968

Sounds cool. I say go for it. I'm sure several folks would be interested in seeing pics. I have the AK version on my Saiga 223. Except for the detents you have to press in to field strip it, I like them.

I had looked at those carefully and for the 308 it seemed lacking a bit. I do like their sights, well put together.

I also wanted to be able to mount a lightweight optic should I chose and really have come not to like side mounts, just imho.

Now the guy needs to come up with the cash :)

Edited by Rhodes1968

Would love to see how you did this, but I have a hard time asking when I know that this will eat into your ammo stash fund!

decisions, decisions...

I don't mind long as I am spending someone else's money.

Just seriously tapped this month and it aint getting much better soon. Can't even afford a blasted cell phone any longer, yeah I know whine whine whine.

This economy is getting damned old.

Going to assume there is interest and just spend the bucks when the guy pays me.

Edited by Rhodes1968

Seems like a good project and an ingenious solution. Kudos for getting it to work. I'd considered getting an XS Weaver Backup Base to put on my DPH rail, but it seemed like I'd need to crank the front post almost out of its socket. Have you had any issues with that?

Edited by DrThunder88

You have to remove enough material from the rear of the mount so that when you mount the sight you dont have to set the front post too high. Once the hight is right its just a matter of forming the "rail" the sight was designed to fit. Since I had all the parts already it made sense. May have access to a camera this weekend, hope so.

I didnt like any the other solutions either. Want it right do it yourself I guess.

Edited by Rhodes1968
  • 9 months later...

The setup while completed had problems, there was a torque every time I fired the weapon between the anchored ends.

Instead of aircraft aluminum, steel would work much better.

The aperture sighting was beautiful and a real improvement though the rail would slowly bend no matter what I would do making it useless for a scope. Puzzling to say the least. I made two just to make sure things were what I thought but both twisted in the same direction. Would twist about 1/8 of inch over the distance from rear sight block to stock.

Still have them so glad to take a few pics if it would help.

Ok this what I was working on. Never did get as far as the finish as never did solve the problem of the mount twisting to the right a few mm.

Would be fine if mounting an optic is not an issue. The Sight is from Tech-sights a Marlin model.

Will likely pick it back up soon as things like this always end up being simple stupid once you figure it out.

100_0764.jpg

100_0769.jpg

Edited by Rhodes1968
  • 1 year later...

Yes I did and it turned out well enough, just replaced it with a TWS rail.

The sight on mine was actually better that the TWS . It was in the end the question of having to have a screwdriver or having a winged bolt in my way to open the dust cover that made me change it. I try very hard to keep things as simple as possible on a MBR.

I was able to fit it with small filing changes to near machined fit. So Im keeping it for use on another rifle somewhere down the line.

Not sure about another rail or if the material would make a difference. I know the group size just using irons dropped by half using the aperture, its a good sight.

Edited by Rhodes1968