Range trip 1st thoughts.

saiga762-3.jpg

Today I took the Saiga to the range and pumped 200 rounds through it. I really really like this gun. As expected very reliable even with the crappy ammo I was using. I was using brown bear and it seemed to really carbon every thing. Even my SKS.

Shot groups were ok. Not great but ok the problem is me. I used to be able to pound tacks with a rifle. Not any more my skills have certainly diminished as I have aged. The scope worked well and is an essential item for me now. I will be putting a bipod on this thing asap. I get the wiggles now.

Next thing I noticed and my son also said it affected him also. With the sporting stock the natural spot for my finger to contact the trigger is high on the trigger. This is not acceptable.

I had to remind my self to lower the contact on the trigger. It was not natural for me to shoot that way.

This will necessitate a conversion to the AK style trigger pistol grip set up. Was going to do it any way. But there is no doubt after the range visit.

Also as a side note. I picked up a EAA Windicator 357 Magnum revolver as a possible home defense gun. Not a bad gun for under $300 new at Gander mountain.

I put a 100 rounds through that also today. Did ok stayed in a 8 inch circle at 15 yards. Good enough for me. That was in single action. Double action not nearly as accurate.The pistol grip fit my big mitts fine and I could get a good site picture.

Bad was... Trigger is stiff as heck but usable. Certainly not a Smith and Wesson by any stretch. Empty shell cases stick on the way out. Other than that I am happy with it.

Edited by A Pause for the COZ
  • 2 weeks later...

Made my 2nd trip to the range today. I am officially now out of ammo :-)

Ran another 300 rounds through her today. Tweaked the scope set up a bit. Happy to report accuracy has much improved.

At 50 yards I was plunking them all in the 10 hole. About the size of a 50 cent piece. I am way ok with that.

500 rounds not one reliability issue to report. this thing is a ammo eating beast!!!

What kind of scope is that your using?

Nothing special its a UTG 4 x32 Picked it up off Amazon for less than $40.

The issue I was having was not so much the scope but the mount. It kept coming loose and wiggling a bit.

I got every thing good and tight and dialed her in. Good to go. The only fliers I get are from me.

Breathing and trigger control are the most important parts to hitting. I have been out of practice.

Hope you guys don't get mad. But I tried out my coworkers Frankin 15. Thats where you start with a lower and buy what parts are on sale when its on sale.

After a couple practice shots open sights. I ran the table on the 20 clays we had stuck on the berm at 40 meters.

So the next day I ordered my stripped lower to start my own Frankin 15.

Wifes gona start wondering what happened to all the OT money I had. Shhhhhhhhh

cool and btw brown bear isnt crappy its pretty good ammo it works a hell of alot better then the old surplus crap on flesh

What do you guys think of that Golden Tiger ammo? I tried a few boxes of it today and it seems pretty energetic.

I wasn't trying for accuracy but I hit every thing I was shooting at and I noticed a defiant different effect on the targets.

Kinda like it.

Edited by A Pause for the COZ

GT's good stuff. I like it quite a bit and it's my usual range ammo. GT's one of the only, (if not the only), Russian non-corrosive steel-cased cartridges that uses a boat tail FMJ bullet, (the boat tail stabilizes it in flight at longer ranges).

I think I may order a case or two. When I say it was energetic on the target I mean in a obvious way. Was just shooting a at plastic jugs. They were getting knocked 30 feet in the air from a hit. kinda neat.

Not to take away from your thread OP. I have been using Wolf ammo for a while because I stupidly purchased a bunch of it. I recently recieved 500rounds of Brown Bear and ...man what a difference...way more accurate than wolf(tighter groups)! Looks like I will be buying a different brand of ammo. Now if I can try some Golden Tiger to see how it does!

cool and btw brown bear isnt crappy its pretty good ammo it works a hell of alot better then the old surplus crap on flesh

What do you guys think of that Golden Tiger ammo? I tried a few boxes of it today and it seems pretty energetic.

I wasn't trying for accuracy but I hit every thing I was shooting at and I noticed a defiant different effect on the targets.

Kinda like it.

I want to 2nd post-apoc on GT ammo.

it is, so far, the ONLY ammo I could see myself buying in bulk (I have a Yugo brass milsurp crate sealed for SHTF, though). I love the way it shoots. it's never "expensive" like domestics (I can always grab it for $5/box locally if I don't plan ahead and order online.

the only other ammo I've liked is the Uly ammo. fairly similar to GT, actually (at least how it shoots, i'm not a ballistics expert).

buy GT in confidence, IMHO.

my dad says the same thing as you about not being able to shoot like he used on his AK, btw. interesting notion. I don't quiz him about it because I don't want to irritate him. what is it? vision? shoulder? both?

Kinda like it.

I want to 2nd post-apoc on GT ammo.

it is, so far, the ONLY ammo I could see myself buying in bulk (I have a Yugo brass milsurp crate sealed for SHTF, though). I love the way it shoots. it's never "expensive" like domestics (I can always grab it for $5/box locally if I don't plan ahead and order online.

the only other ammo I've liked is the Uly ammo. fairly similar to GT, actually (at least how it shoots, i'm not a ballistics expert).

buy GT in confidence, IMHO.

my dad says the same thing as you about not being able to shoot like he used on his AK, btw. interesting notion. I don't quiz him about it because I don't want to irritate him. what is it? vision? shoulder? both?

I would say all of the above.

I think for me though it was obvious because I had not shot for at least 12 years. So I just did what I had done before and went holy CRAP!!! What happened to me.

I am not the same person I was 12 years ago.

As I am shooting more I am improving every time. I am having to learn a whole new body and how to control it.

I suspect if I still had been shooting on a regular basis the change would have been gradual and I would have adapted with them. Probably never would have even noticed the change.

But as it stands right now. my son is out shooting me and that pisses me off :-)

" dad I thought you said you could shoot good"

[quote nameBut as it stands right now. my son is out shooting me and that pisses me off :-)

LOL that is what you want right!? To teach your child to be better than you!

nameBut as it stands right now. my son is out shooting me and that pisses me off :-)

LOL that is what you want right!? To teach your child to be better than you!

Yes that is true. I can tell all ready he is going to be a crack shot. he picks up what I teach him real fast.

But..... I really wanted to start this exercise with a display of my awesomeness.

Oh well it is what it is. Although he is seeing how fast i am picking it back up and thats kinda pushing him.

He has seen a couple groups I am capable of. Enough any way he quit giving me crap when I complain

about his hold.