bolt hold open problems

I have a Saga 12 that I did the PG donversion on and use for my local matches. I have twice had the spring that rests on top of the tab on the manual bolt hold open lever slip off and render the gun inoperable. After it happened the first time I filed a narrow groove in the top of the tab thinking that it would keep the spring from slipping off, but apparently it didn't work because it happened to me again last weekend during the match. I now have drilled a very small hole through the tab and have "threaded" the end of the spring through it. I was wondering if any other members have ever had any problems with the bolt hold open lever? I know I could just remove it all together, but I like the feature and to be able to have the action opened between stages so there is no question in anyones mind that the gun is safe.

OP, Notch the ear of the BHO that the spring sits on like I do in GlassBolt for people who want to run their BHOs.

Are you sure you went deep enough?

Go deep & it'll ensure the BHO spring won't fall off on you.

Untitled-5.jpg

Next, you hit the darn thing while firing from the hip. :rolleyes:

Seriously, the more parts, the more that can go wrong.

you could also have your bolt profiled and load on a closed bolt..that's what ive done with my saiga's..the BHO is the first to go!

How're the GlassBolts workin' out for ya? :)

You may have to send the IceRack back for touchup... :nothing:

I do something a little different now on some. :D

IceRackSupreme002.jpg

OP, Notch the ear of the BHO that the spring sits on like I do in GlassBolt for people who want to run their BHOs.

Untitled-5.jpg

Next, you hit the darn thing while firing from the hip. :rolleyes:

Seriously, the more parts, the more that can go wrong.

you could also have your bolt profiled and load on a closed bolt..that's what ive done with my saiga's..the BHO is the first to go!

Pauly, I've actually drilled a .040" hole right through the tab this tims instead of the notch, and Ive threaded the end of the spring right through the hole. I don't think there's any way it would be possible for it to pop off. The problem is I have no way of knowing for sure until it happens again. After the first time it happened and I filed the notch, I used the gun in two matches with no problems and then it happened again during my most recent match. You remark about me hitting the lever while fireing from the hip, well, I don't do that while shooting a match, but what about if the top of my hand, by my index finger knuckle were to push up on it while firing, wouldn't the worst that could happen be that the bolt would lock back in the middile of the course of fire? What I mean is, it shouldn't cause the spring to pop off because I inadvertantly hit the lever at the wrong time, should it?

How're the GlassBolts workin' out for ya? :)

You may have to send the IceRack back for touchup... :nothing:

I do something a little different now on some. :D

IceRackSupreme002.jpg

The worst part is trying to take it all apart with the bolt 'stuck' in the rear position. This issue robbed me of a few hours the other night. Putting a nice little bend on the end of the spring fixed the problem. I was ready to throw the thing out of the window.

I agree with Pauly, if it is cut deep enuff, it won't come off.

Pauly, the jeweling looks good, nice job :smoke:

Even of you notch the BHO deep and bend the spring, it can still get stuck up in the gun.

It won't if you tweak the right leg of the hammer spring to hold the BHO lever against the side of the receiver. I'll admit I don't use the BHO very often, but it's good to have it there if I do need it, if for nothing more than to inspect the bore without tearing the whole gun down.

Even of you notch the BHO deep and bend the spring, it can still get stuck up in the gun.

It won't if you tweak the right leg of the hammer spring to hold the BHO lever against the side of the receiver. I'll admit I don't use the BHO very often, but it's good to have it there if I do need it, if for nothing more than to inspect the bore without tearing the whole gun down.

I have done all three things to prevent it. On rare occasions it still got stuck up in the gun. That is why I removed it and notched the safety lever to hold the bolt back.