Suggestions for Camping lights

Build a better mouse trap and the world will beat off on the path to your door.

So then what do you invent, a better mop? maybe a Teflon coated walkway?

Rubber boots with spermicide. :D

"Build a better mouse trap and the world will beat a path to your door."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm new to the forum and need some advice.

I am doing an engineering degree and have the project of re-designing a camping light. Really awesome if you ask me (especially as we get to make models of it).

However camping light is a very broad term - I know there are lanterns, head lights, torches, torch/lanterns, LED discs, gas lights etc...

I was wondering if people could provide me with some information on the types of lighting they use and why it is preferable to them.

Hopefully this information can then also help others when searching for a light they would like to purchase.

If people are interested i can also post up the final design of the new light that is created and you can tell me if it is any good or not..!

You're right, there are different lights for different purposes at a campsite. I haven't found the perfect light yet. I stay away from gas operated lanterns..too much hassle. I use exclusively LED lights now for reliability and battery life. One large lantern, one handheld flashlight, and one headlight. I don't like the kind of light the lantern puts out, though. It's a too harsh bright white light that creates a lot of shadows. I'd prefer something that puts out a softer glow and makes it easier for the eyes to readjust when transitioning from looking into the darkness and back to the light. The quality of the light output is where I would try to make an improvement. I'd like to see something similar to the yellowish glow of those outdoor sodium lights.

Edited by DogMan

I use gasoline,kerosene,propane and LED lanterns. There are 2AA LED flashlights in both doors of the Jeep, as well as a 3D cell Maglight with LED lamp. There are maybe a half dozen flashlights of one kind or other in the camper, and a LED light with me at all times, as well as flashlights in the tool boxes.

My best suggestion to improve camp lights is to make one that you can FIND in the DARK!