Post 308 Conversion Bolt/Carrier Probs ?

I have recently converted 3 Saigas, a 223 and two 308s. Everything went together fine with the Tapco G2 FCGs. Problem is with the 308s...

When I try to reassemble them, the bolt/carrier assemblies are an absolute BUGGER to fit. I end up wrestling them around for about 5 minutes, making sure the bolt is fully forward and the carrier lugs are inside the receiver rails and pushing down firmly to depress the hammer...but nothing moves.

Finally something works and the whole thing magically slides into place. Nothing seems to be binding. The action slides back and forth smoothly. I just can't figure out what the initial problem is. This seems to happen the few times I have had to reassemble them. Perhaps the Tapco hammer is thicker and hangs up the bolt or everything is just stiff and new? They both have less than 100 rds downrange before conversion. Maybe I just need to shoot 'em some more to loosen things up...

Anyone else have this problem?

M

I think its a getting to know it deal / always make sure the hammer is layed down and practice taking it apart and back together until you get the hang of it. I usually keep light downward pressure on it then guide everything in place with my free hand then it slides right in. Wow that sure sounds funny.

Edited by OBITUARY

Imo, they're a little tricker to reassemble than other Saigas, but not that bad, if you pay attention to what you're doing. There's a cut-out on each side of the receiver rails that will let the lugs on the bolt pass through. You have to line these up with the bolt lugs correctly, then just press down and forward; done.

ymmv, but I don't find it difficult.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

On my S-.308 and S-12 with the bigger bolts, I rock the left side in first, then push down hard to further compress the hammer - THEN the bolt and carrier will slide forward!

When I was first learning the AK style platform I thought field stripping was much more timely than it was with the AR platform.

It isn't now but there's a few tricks that just become thoughtless after awhile.

Make sure the bolt is in the foremost position when you're dropping the carrier in. Slide the piston in, then set the bolt carrier down at the back with a slight angle to the right. Softly rock and apply pressure downwards and it will fall right in. Seems to be the same for my saiga12, psl, and 308. The PSL is the easiest of the bunch, and the saiga 12 is the hardest.