i want to have a fal flash hider welded onto my s308 front sight block. any recomendations? ill ship out the block and flashider. want this done a little cleaner than my last one. any help would be appreciated. i may also need to have the upper retainer rewelded on a gas tube if i cant find a yugo.

Edited by psl sniper

TAC47

That would be my recommendation.

I'm currently not jigged up for the flash hider, nor do I have a .308 to set it up on so I'd likely be a bit slower than Tac-47 & he's a good welder for those type of things.

It needs to be done just right or it can effect accuracy & he does a lot of cool things to the .308s.

who has the quicker turnaround? my first thought was pauly, but i wasnt sure how swamped hed be right now.

Sorry I didn't get to the PM sooner PSL, I have a lot going on in the shop right now.

i want to have a fal flash hider welded onto my s308 front sight block. any recomendations? ill ship out the block and flashider. want this done a little cleaner than my last one. any help would be appreciated. i may also need to have the upper retainer rewelded on a gas tube if i cant find a yugo.

Tac47

Yakdung

although I would suggest, for gun work, sending it off to tac47, assuming you arent breaching laws, and then cobra or paul....I would just take it to a classic car body shop, and do it myself....or hold the MIG or TIG hose while they do it. dont wear sandals.....

although I would suggest, for gun work, sending it off to tac47, assuming you arent breaching laws, and then cobra or paul....I would just take it to a classic car body shop, and do it myself....or hold the MIG or TIG hose while they do it. dont wear sandals.....

Personally, I'm not familiar with a Fal flash-hider.

If the insides are close to the traveling bullet at all, I'd pin it before welding personally.

Reason being are contraction forces resulting from welding, so I would either spin out a rod on a lathe the same size as the .308's barrel or do the weld with it on the gun, however, I'd imagine the FAL's barrel & the .308's barrel have slightly different exterior diameters.

I've seen a zig-zag break that was welded after screwing onto it's FSB. It tilted a touch due to the contraction of the weld as it cooled, even though it was screwed on before welding & clamped well.

This effected accuracy & it had to be bored out a touch to fix the issue.

Could I do it?

Yes.

But it would take me a while to ensure it would not effect accuracy when installed on the weapon, so it wouldn't be at all profitable for me to take the job on unless I was planing on developing my process & releasing a line of them, which I'm not.

Good call. I'm still going to probably go ahead with my plans to get my own FAL L1 A1 hider welded to my .308 FSB just to see how it goes. I bought the hider about 4 years ago to put on that rifle when I was building it, and just never got around to doing it. I like how the one turned out that you put on your Tabuk clone is why I decided to go ahead with it. I was figuring while I was at it go ahead and do two, not even attempting yours until after mine turned out satisfactory. If it doesn't work out that's no biggie for me really. I don't really care for the FSB on the stock Saiga .308 anyway. Of course it goes without saying for me, that if it gets done at all, it will be installed perfectly lined up with the bore, and will definitely be tested to make sure there is absolutely no interference with the bullet exiting the muzzle. It's just for looks anyway and not supposed to function as a muzzle brake, so even if the end needs to be over bored, (along with still being lined up exactly, to ensure it does not effect accuracy...) that won't be a problem. It probably won't even be a permanent fixture on that rifle, just something I wanted to finish that I never did. Eventually I will come across a more fitting option for this particular rifle, but for now it's not like it has to be "correct" or anything. The rifle is already a "mutt" of sorts, being my first .308 conversion and a halfbreed between a Saiga and a Vepr.

post-1293-0-55830800-1310260724_thumb.jpg

It was a fun project and it still looks naked IMO without a FH or a brake. I've just got these 4 FAL hiders still laying around so I thought maybe I should use one and see how it turns out. Perhaps I'll look into an SVD brake right from the start and just quit fucking around....