I want to make a mosin nagant 91/30 into a handy little bolt gun. I would like to cut the barrel down to about 18 inches. I remember seeing a while back a clamp on front sight for the shortened 91/30 but I can't seem to find them anywhere. Anybody seen them or have any other options as to a front sight

I want to make a mosin nagant 91/30 into a handy little bolt gun. I would like to cut the barrel down to about 18 inches. I remember seeing a while back a clamp on front sight for the shortened 91/30 but I can't seem to find them anywhere. Anybody seen them or have any other options as to a front sight

You can buy a dovetail cutting fixture from midway and cut a new dovetail slot to remount your old sight. The jig is 20.99.

Ah sheesh, leave it alone. (You know, there are plenty of modern, relatively-inexpensive handy bolt guns available that have no historical significance?) Besides, most aftermarket items for the MN just plain suck. A clamp-on front sight for a gun firing the 7.62x54r? That's not going to hold up well...

• Like 1

I already have a few mosin nagants and want to shorten one of them. Plus I just like mosin nagants. I'll take a look at the cutting fixture. I don't want to bubba the gun but I just want to have a small bolt gun for plinking.

You guys act like working on a gun that's identical to 17million other guns, and around $100, is cutting into a museum piece.

You could always solder a sight on the front, but a dovetail like already recommended is going to be the best.

• Like 2

Solder really? Like the same solder you use for wires? Maybe im missing something. I might end up just using a scout mount and a pistol scope or dot. Im undecided but if possible id like to use irons. I dont feel like putting another $120 on a $100 gun. I would need a mill of some sort to cut a dove tail huh?

Get an M-38! Mine shot right on at 100yds without touching the sights1 It is still my favorite plinker, and goes to the range as a backup. Many range sessions have been saved when whatever someone brought did not work right. The M-38 NEVER has any issues. Load shoot . NO problems!

• 2 weeks later...

Why do this do you ask? I picked up a sporterized 91/59 which i thought at first was an M44 because of its shorter barrel. The rear sight being milled off at the longer distances was a dead give away its a m91/59. I also noticed the front part of the barrel is much thicker too. I haven't shot it to this day but i'll bet its very accurate. The gunsmith who did the sporterizing on it also cut and welded a bent bolt, he mounted a modern front sight and did a trigger job on it. If i mount a scope on it i'm sure it will make a great hunting rifle. My point is the 91/30 cut down becomes a 91/59 or similair. Thicker barrel at the muzzle end means less barrel harmonics and maybe sniper accuracy too. UNKN

Edited by Unknown Poster