Hi Folks,

I am looking for people that have used the Vplug and know what it does. I screwed mine down all the way then to get the weapon to shoot the cheep stuff reliably I had to back it off 6 clicks. Is this common? Will it cause any problems? In case this setting doesn't continue to work can I back off any more?

Edited by Palidin

Hi Folks,

I am looking for people that have used the Vplug and know what it does. I screwed mine down all the way then to get the weapon to shoot the cheep stuff reliably I had to back it off 6 clicks. Is this common? Will it cause any problems? In case this setting doesn't continue to work can I back off any more?

I have one but havent bothered trying it yet.....been sticking with the factory so far

A little confusing without having numbers on the plug....so here is a pic from MD arms website....might help alittle but someone who has actually used it would be able to help more than I

post-22193-0-30028800-1310328271_thumb.jpg

Uh, did you bother reading the instructions that came with the part? I recommend doing so. ;)

The plug has two (+) and two (-). Directions reference settings in number format and have no numbers on the plug.

AND yes reading the directions is a good start, but stamping the plug with numbers would have been nice too

Uh, did you bother reading the instructions that came with the part? I recommend doing so. ;)

The plug has two (+) and two (-). Directions reference settings in number format and have no numbers on the plug...

There may be no numbers on the plug, but common sense and the directions would tell you that the - is to be used as setting 1, while the + is setting 5, the dots in between representing 2, 3, 4.

Is this really so hard to figure out? :huh:

The plug has two (+) and two (-). Directions reference settings in number format and have no numbers on the plug...

There may be no numbers on the plug, but common sense and the directions would tell you that the - is to be used as setting 1, while the + is setting 5, the dots in between representing 2, 3, 4.

Not for me but numbers are usually easier for people that are not used to the firearm, the factory uses numerical, and the Vplug instructions reference numbers also.....

Wrote procedures in a previous life and I tried to make them as fullproof and questionless as possible....I would have used numbers on the plug

Instructions, I am an engineer I don't need no stinking instructions.:lolol: Just kidding I am an engineer but yes I did read them, but they could go into more detail. I have numerous firearms and have been shooting for 50 years so I know a little about weapons.

I guess I didn't make things clear enough. I understand the concept but if you count the clicks I would be on number six? I screwed it all the way in and backed out 5 clicks, still had FTEs. One more click counter clockwise seemed to help. I ran out of ammo after 5 more rounds. I was wondering if this is acceptable or if it can cause problems before I shoot more. I need to shoot some more to see if this setting is reliable. Thanks for the comments so far.

Edited by Palidin

Instructions, I am an engineer I don't need no stinking instructions.:lolol: Just kidding I am an engineer but yes I did read them, but they could go into more detail.

I guess I didn't make things clear enough. I understand the concept but if you count the clicks I would be on number six? I screwed it all the way in and backed out 5 clicks, still had FTEs. One more click counter clockwise seemed to help. I ran out of ammo after 5 more rounds. I was wondering if this is acceptable or it can cause problems before I shoot more. I need to shoot some more to see if this setting is reliable.

Not sure...I defer to others for that one....I've stuck with the factory so far (even though I purchased a Vplug) and a "1" or a "2" has worked just fine for me

i did all of my research before i even joined the forum. i installed the v-plug during the conversion. to my mind it was a no-brainer. two positions vs. five. imo great product. i did encounter a drawback on the 4th of july. when running over 200 rounds, things get damned hot. so............. if you change ammo type and need to adjust, wear a glove. :cryss:

oh, and unlike the factory plug. no tool is needed. :D

of course , one must follow the directions. from what you wrote it seems that you are doing fine. if you have concerns about it being over gassed with lite ammo. restrict the gas one notch at a time. at some point it will FTE.

Sounds to me like you still don't have it set right. Screw the plug all the on until it bottoms out on your gas block. Then back it off until the first - symbol lines up with the pin. The slot on the gas plug will be vertical at this point. This is your lowest gas setting "1" (for high brass ammo). Turn the gas plug CCW 4 more clicks and this is your highest setting "5" (for low brass ammo).

• Like 2

Sounds to me like you still don't have it set right. Screw the plug all the on until it bottoms out on your gas block. Then back it off until the first - symbol lines up with the pin. The slot on the gas plug will be vertical at this point. This is your lowest gas setting "1" (for high brass ammo). Turn the gas plug CCW 4 more clicks and this is your highest setting "5" (for low brass ammo).

My question is what if you turn it more clicks after that? I turned mine one more click (6 Clicks) and it seemed to solve the FTE problem. I didn't have but 5 more rnds to try it with and was asking for info before I went back and tried some more.

Thanks, :angel:

Honestly, jmo but if I was on setting 5 and still having trouble I would either keep feeding her some more to see if it loosens up and/or seriously think about having your bolt reprofiled and polished. Then theres always the infinite how are your ports question.

I guess I didn't make things clear enough. I understand the concept but if you count the clicks I would be on number six? I screwed it all the way in and backed out 5 clicks, still had FTEs. One more click counter clockwise seemed to help.

That's the same spot mine runs Federal and Remington bulk. The way I find my way back to that spot without counting is pretty simple, but I find it harder to screw up 'simple.' I figured it'd be nice to have a way to glance at the plug and know where I'm at without counting clicks, so I've begun to color-code the settings. Since the Federal hulls are a maroon, I snagged a drop of maroon nail polish from my girlfriend and just filled up the + sign. I intend to get all my "go-to" ammo marked on there so I'll never have to stop and fiddle or think about which setting for which load. Just an idea.

Not for me but numbers are usually easier for people that are not used to the firearm, the factory uses numerical, and the Vplug instructions reference numbers also.....

Wrote procedures in a previous life and I tried to make them as fullproof and questionless as possible....I would have used numbers on the plug

Really? Fullproof or foolproof?

Hey, if you're going to split hairs then I will too...

Instructions, I am an engineer I don't need no stinking instructions.:lolol: Just kidding I am an engineer but yes I did read them, but they could go into more detail. I have numerous firearms and have been shooting for 50 years so I know a little about weapons.

I guess I didn't make things clear enough. I understand the concept but if you count the clicks I would be on number six? I screwed it all the way in and backed out 5 clicks, still had FTEs. One more click counter clockwise seemed to help. I ran out of ammo after 5 more rounds. I was wondering if this is acceptable or if it can cause problems before I shoot more. I need to shoot some more to see if this setting is reliable. Thanks for the comments so far.

I'm an "uneducated" tradesman and I've only been shooting for ten years.

I had no problem with the directions...

Screw it all the way in, back it out to the first (-) symbol (which is setting one) the next dot is setting two, the next dot is setting three, the next dot is setting four and the (+) is setting 5...

It's cool though, I'm used to dealing with engineers, I had to show both of my cousins, who are engineers, how to hook up RCA cables to a TV. The yellow plug goes to the yellow socket, the red plug to the red socket and, huh? I wonder where the white plug goes... :lolol:

By turning the plug 1 click CCW from your #5 setting puts you at setting #1 for the other "spectrum" on the plug. Before I polished my internals I had to back my plug off an extra half turn (#5 on the other spectrum) to run low brass ammo.

I'm an "uneducated" tradesman and I've only been shooting for ten years.

I had no problem with the directions...

Screw it all the way in, back it out to the first (-) symbol (which is setting one) the next dot is setting two, the next dot is setting three, the next dot is setting four and the (+) is setting 5...

It's cool though, I'm used to dealing with engineers, I had to show both of my cousins, who are engineers, how to hook up RCA cables to a TV. The yellow plug goes to the yellow socket, the red plug to the red socket and, huh? I wonder where the white plug goes... :lolol:

Thanks man, I just got a new LCD Flat screen and wondered how to hook up those damm plugs. :rolleyes:

By turning the plug 1 click CCW from your #5 setting puts you at setting #1 for the other "spectrum" on the plug. Before I polished my internals I had to back my plug off an extra half turn (#5 on the other spectrum) to run low brass ammo.

That is what I was wondering if it was okay to do or would that cause damage. I didn't see how it could but thought there might be a possibility of ports clogging . Also it never hurts to ask when you have experts you can ask. I plan to polish my bolt, rails, and hammer face at some time but it will be a while and would like to run it on some cheap ammo until I can.

Thanks to everyone for your input. :up:

I'm also an engineer and I thought the instructions could have been better. Although I did order my saiga-12 with the vplug already installed so I never saw how the factory plug worked.

Welcome,

I actually only shot mine one shot with the factory plug. It was even set on one and it ejected the low brass Federal #7.5 shot shell and loaded the next round. :rolleyes: I can't shoot more than one shot here at the house with out getting in trouble. I have thought about putting the factory plug back in and just see what happens next time I go some where I can shoot. :lolol: