Gas port question

Got a quick question...

I have a converted S20 and having trouble with FTE.

When I take out my gas plug to inspect my gas ports I can see only one but with a paper clip can probe the other two. So when I look down the barrel of my unloaded S20 I can see the tip of the paper clip through each hole.

The question is then; should I be able to visually see all the holes to consider them unblocked or are the two I cant see but only probe considered blocked?

Things I have done thus far:

• Cleaned and oiled the gun well
  • Tried different loads and brands of ammo
  • Switched in an MD gas plug
  • Probed all the gas ports to make sure that they were at least clear

Thanks

If that doesn't work then you may get some more out of it by enlarging the main port in your gas block, to allow more gas to pass through your bbl ports (that's if they are partially obstructed...). Once you are in that far it's nothing to adjust the bbl ports a little.

• 2 weeks later...

dont want to jack the thread, but i think this is relevant to the OP

cobra, i just finished a 20. the gas reg was f'ed up by the previous owner. i cannot get it to thread back more than half way (gas block threads are tweaked). in effect my gas system fully open. test fired last week with decent middle of road target loads. runs like a scalded dog and cycles perfectly. do you see any issues running open gassed?

Edited by smartbomb
  • 4 months later...

If it's the same as the S12, it's M22x1.0, and they're not all that easy to find a tap for.

I wound up having to order from from China and it took about 2 1/2 weeks to get here. Cost 26 bucks.

There are complete tap kits out there with the one you'd need, but they run 80 or so bucks.

this is the first I've looked in the 20g forum, but if you search, there's a few good threads on boogered gas block threads over on the 12g side.

Edited by Spyder
  • 2 weeks later...