Breaking in the s-20?

Didn't have problems with mine. Just make sure everything is clean & moving properly. Make sure you use the right length shell in the proper mag and set the gas port accordingly. #2 for light loads & #1 for heavy.

They say especially the S20's are touchy until it breaks in. All that means is that it just takes a bit for all the moving parts to wear into themselves. You may have a few FTF's at first. I think people say that so people who have a few minor problems with the gun the first time out dont freak out and want to get rid of it right away. Just make sure its good and clean and well lubed and you most likely wont have any problems.

Oh and by the way breaking in your gun is nothing more than firing a few hundred rounds through it. Its not a big deal. Get it go out and shoot it. Just dont worry if you have a couple shells fail to feed. Just keep on shooting it until everything works good.

Edited by stokstad

I've fired about 300rnds of the cheap 7/8 oz through and still had FTE with mine so I just bought some 1oz stuff since I read that might help but 50 rnds later and still about every 3rd shell. About every 3rd round gets stove piped. It's on #2 and I've cleanded and lubed the heck out of it. So frustrating cause I know this is a great/fun gun when it's working. Anyone have any ideas?

I've fired about 300rnds of the cheap 7/8 oz through and still had FTE with mine so I just bought some 1oz stuff since I read that might help but 50 rnds later and still about every 3rd shell.  About every 3rd round gets stove piped.  It's on #2 and I've cleanded and lubed the heck out of it.  So frustrating cause I know this is a great/fun gun when it's working.  Anyone have any ideas?

Is it an S20? If so are you using the correct shells for the magazine you have?

Yeah, it's a Saiga-20. I had a 410 that functioned flawlessly but I sold it and got the S20 and have had problems with stovepipe FTE ever since. My dad has two 410's and my bro has a 410 and a 12 that all run super smooth. I'm using a 5rnd x70 mag with the 1oz 2.75" shells as well as my 10rnd. The 10 seems to jam a little less though it does FTE quite frequently as well. It's on setting #2, screwed all the way in and backed out to #2. It pickes up the next live round but the brass part of the shell being ejected gets caught between the bolt and the barrel causing the FTE stovepipe style. If anyone has ideas I would really like to get this gun flowing smoothly.

Sure here is the fix:

Get a polishing wheel and compond for your dremmel. Take the top cover off the gun and cycle the action. Note the area where the bolt hits the hammer face when you pull back the bolt. This is the area that needs to be polished. After you polish the hammer face and the bottom of the bolt to a mirror smooth finish the gun will take less force to work the action. This will cure the problem of the bolt not traveling far enough to the rear to eject the empty case.

I have cured a Saiga-12 and a Saiga-20 that both had stove-pipe jams with this fix...MadDog

Please let us know how this "fix" works for you!

• 2 weeks later...