I've been stuck up in DC for about a month, working on the Warrior Transition Unit at the NNMC, which is soon to be the new Walter Reid, apparently. I've got a family friend that used to work for the government, who lives in Laurel MD, I got in touch with him, just seeing if he wanted to grab a beer or something. He mentioned shooting some trap at Prince George County Trap and Skeet center. At first, I was a little bit skeptical, because I usually just go out in the woods and blow shit up back in Alabama, but I like checking out new things, so I said let's give it a shot.

Anyway, we rode up there, and I can honestly say, this was the most structured environment I've ever shot shit in. It was like a fucking country club. He had a couple of shotguns with him, one was a Beretta AL391, and the other was some $5000 Italian Perazzi over under, it was super nice, with some crazy engraving on the receiver, fucking beautiful.

So I've shot skeet at boy scout camp back in the day, and sometimes I take the S12 and the arm powered skeet flinger, but nothing like this. The first round I shot was with the Beretta, I think I hit something like 12 out of 25, then the next round I got 20 out of 25. I switched to the Perazzi, and only got 15 or so out of 25. The last round I was back on the Beretta and hit 20 out of 25. The middle 3 stations I was hitting 100%, but when I got on the far left or right, I was tripping up a bit. I think its because I'm left handed, left eye dominant, but I shoot long guns right handed, which requires me to use my right eye, and being that far out on the sides was throwing me off. I think with some practice I could hit 25/25, though. Dude that took me was irritated that I was shooting as well as I was, he said "Jeff, you're pissing me off. This is your first time shooting trap, you should be hitting 0-4 out of 25." But to me, it was just shooting shotguns, even though I've never shot either one of the guns.

He was really into it, telling me all these theories and philosophies about stance and form and zen and whatnot, follow through after the shot, etc. It was a lot to take in, but once I got over concentrating on trying to shoot like he was telling me, and started just doing it on habit, I started doing quite well, so I guess there is some merit to the whole philosophy he was pitching.

So anyway, now I want to buy a Beretta AL391 and get into trap shooting. Hell, maybe I'll buy a 24" Saiga and try that out, but I think I optimally need a longer barrel. The 391 was 28" I think. I'm just not used to not being able to drink beer when I shoot, which apparently is frowned upon at the shotgun country clubs.

Country club shooting, I like the description. I'm amazed at the "professional shooters" I see at a club near me. Specifically, I like watching the college kids shooting $5k-$18K guns yet drive away in old ugly hand-me-down cars. I'm confused that the more expensive the gun the cheaper the ammo they shoot (Fioochi White Rhinos). I'll always remember one young man who was on the Schools team shooting a pump action beater Winchester instead of the accepted top break O/U guns. One team member jeered him saying something like, "yeah, but he's from Wyoming." I'm thinking the redneck is attending your prestigious school and he just bested you and your $$$$$ gun. A $$$$$ gun with a custom fitted/carved stock. The best part was the cardboard cheek weld taped around the Winchester stock. LOL Later, another team member was lamenting she was only shooting 95% but it was with a different gun that night. "But I really can't complain since the gun was just given to me and not fitted yet." It was a Caeser Guerini that was "just given" to her. A GMC was the only vehicle I've owned that was more expensive than her O/U gifted gun.

Different folks, Different strokes.

i thought trap shooting was when the clay flys directly away from you, and skeet is with the 5 position 2 tower?

anyway, i really need to practice with the two tower, 5 position set up. ive had pathetically low scores, like 10/25 on that.

PG county trap and skeet is one of the best kept secrets in Maryland. I use to live fairly lose to the range and we would go occasionally. You should try the sporting clays they have a decent course especially for the price. I think the range use to be owned by Beretta and was transferred to the state of MD.

I tried to bring the Saiga there but was denied access due to the barrel length. I can't imagine the looks I would get. I got enough comments when I use my stock 870.

Ive been getting into trap the last year or so. It is a blast. But ive never been to an actual range. A buddy of mines father, who has more money than he knows what to do with, has set up a trap range and covered shooting range on his land. All offial shit. We go shooting just about every other weekend. Iv been using the ol mossy 500 and usually do well. We always shoot at least a 100 and i do at least 75/100, but have done a lot better most times lately. Not good in my opinion but ive been told it is. Id like to get a better gun specific for trap but we will see. Ive searched around the internet a little to learn up on it and come across videos of official compitition and those fools are hitting 1000/1000 damn! i cant imagine.

Im kinda on your level though ElvisC we usually have a few cold ones and enjoy ourselves. A lot of people really frown on the alcohol and guns mix. But its not like we are out there getting shit faced throwing our bottles up and shooting them with the cowboy guns. Its just like anything else that people do while drinking, you just have to be responsible. There is a fine line and if you get out of hand your gone. Its not an anyones welcome place. Guess you could say its our own county club, just not all fancy and beer on tap. :smoke: I just dont think id been into the gun range/club scene.

Edited by Chevyman097

When we were finished with the last round, I walked down to the house where the clays come from and checked out the set up. It was basically a skeet flinger on a pneumatic machine that moved it side to side, so that it would fly out on unpredictable paths.